Maintaining a 3.6?

<p>How hard would it be to maintain a 3.6 GPA at Purdue? I just got invited to the University honors program and to stay in the program, they say I have to maintain a 3.6. I consider myself smart (though not the very smartest), and I'm one of the top ranked students at my high school. However, I heard that in college, achieving something like a 4.0 is unlikely. I've heard college GPAs are a lot lower than high school GPAs. So, how feasible is maintaining a 3.6?</p>

<p>It all depends on how much you want to work. College administrators like to say that for every hour in class, you should study 2 hours outside of class. (Not at all a steadfast rule, some classes will require more, some less)</p>

<p>Regarding “how difficult it is to maintain a certain gpa”, every student is different. Once you get past Gen. Ed. classes there is very little bloat work that will pad your grade if you mess up an exam, therefore studying for tests is crucial.</p>

<p>If you put in the time, a 3.6 is very attainable, but it will eat up quite a bit of your time. </p>

<p>You said that you are one of the top students at your high school, so you already know how to work. College is a different environment and you will need to adapt, you have a lot more freedom now. I think that your number one problem once you get to Purdue is making the choice between studying and hanging out with your friends, both are important and you will have to create balance.</p>

<p>ProTip:
1.Buy a planner and schedule time to study. (and actually do it)
2.Look ahead through the syllabus so you aren’t surprised by anything.
3.Have fun, you only go to college once!</p>

<p>Okay, I am going to be completely honest here. It depends on your major, of course, but honestly, just go to class. Sure, you can study outside of class, but many people I know will not show up to class a lot then are shocked as to why they got a bad grade on an exam. Going to class everyday is the best and easiest way to keep up with your classes. The way I think about it is, if I’m not going to class, I’m just wasting my parents’ money. For my freshmen fall semester, I got a 3.45, then a 3.8 then a 3.9 last semester. See my point? Go to class. Always. </p>

<p>And, about UHP classes… I’m in a UHP class this semester, and honestly, it is the biggest waste of my life. It’s interesting, but we don’t do much. No exams, no notes. Just talking. And random discussions. I personally don’t like this and probably won’t ever take a UHP class again. I’m sure other UHP classes are different and more challenging, many require extra projects (such as non-UHP classes, like the “Honors” section of a certain class) but I’m just basing my opinion off of the class I’m currently in.</p>

<p>Any comment on how hard it is to maintain a 3.6 in Engineering?</p>

<p>Dixie, you don’t think much of your UHP class. What about other aspects of UHP? Obviously, priority registration is a big perk. Have you taken advantage of/enjoyed the social aspects of UHP? Any other comments?</p>

<p>I’m not in UHP, just taking a UHP class because I’m in the Liberal Arts honors program, which is different. I guess priority scheduling is good if you are wanting to take some obscure class that is only offered at one time and are worried you wont get into the class. But honestly, when you’re a freshmen you’re going to be taking such basic classes that there will be a ton a sections for each class. Also, I’m not in engineering but I would imagine getting a 3.6 might be a little harder since it’s so competitive/the many labs you have to take/a lot of homework, etc.</p>

<p>Do you think maintaining a high gpa as a computer science major would be tough? I really like math and am good at it, so would maintaining a high gpa as a CS major still be hard?</p>

<p>Seriously, just go to class and do your work. Study. If you are doing that, you should get good grades. Most people that complain about college-level school work are the same people that don’t go to class. </p>

<p>Yes, it is more difficult than High School, but it isn’t unreasonable. Go to class, study until you are comfortable with the material and you will be fine.</p>

<p>As for Comp. Sci, a math background is helpful. The admissions committee is going to make sure that you are qualified for the program before they let you in. So if you get in, which is a feat in itself considering how competitive it is, you should be okay. However other than engineering, Comp. Sci has the highest transfer out rate IMO because it is veeeerrrrryyyy difficult. </p>

<p>FYE Majors are pretty much required to have a 3.5 because of their weed-out classes.</p>

<p>Getting a 3.6 in engineering is pretty tough, but it is doable. I have a few friends in engineering, both very smart, had good GPA in HS (3.7-3.9). After their first semester one of my friend’s gpa was a 3.0 and the other 3.2. My brother did engineering at Purdue too (3.8 GPA in HS) and ended up with a 3.0 overall GPA.</p>

<p>It all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to your studies. Like everyone else is saying, go to class. I hate when people wonder why they do bad in the class yet they showed up like 5 times to class the whole semester…honestly what were you expecting? Always get your work done first and then have fun. I usually try to get all my work done during the day/before the weekend and then I can do whatever I want. And it does depend what major you are doing, what classes you are taking. You can probably get a 3.6 first semester but it’ll get harder later on.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks guys! Even though I’m a good student, I’ve had my doubts about how hard college will be. I will definitely work hard and go to class. Don’t see why you would pay lots of tuition and then just not go to class</p>

<p>Honestly, if getting a 3.6 was impossible, then it wouldn’t be a requirement because then they wouldn’t have a UHP program.</p>

<p>John- Yeah, as long as you put in the work you will be fine. You won’t have as much homework as high school, but professors expect that you will learn the material outside of class. IE: Math, your instructor might not assign problems from the book, but you should do them anyway if you aren’t comfortable with the material.</p>

<p>College isn’t as difficult as it is made out, but a lot of people have problem with no structuring. Also, in regards to “I will definitely work hard and go to class” that’s what we all say :wink: It is actually really hard to have perfect attendance in college. You will wake up, look at the syllabus and say “I can learn that by myself” and then go back to sleep.</p>

<p>ProTip: When scheduling classes you might say I’m not a morning person, but 9 AM sounds doable. Trust me, if you aren’t a morning person, don’t think that you will change now. Just schedule later classes…</p>

<p>Ya, I wasn’t planning on scheduling morning classes. I am definitely not a morning person. So glad UHP gives priority scheduling!</p>