Major help

Im at my second year at cc and ive been stressing out picking my major. I have a keen intrest in film/digital journalism particularly in documentary production but i dont believe its a viable option as for a career. I do plan on still pursuing my passion later on but as of now I want more of a safety net career while also still being interested in it. My options as of now are digital marketing and UR/UX, what should i do? any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I work in user experience research. My undergraduate degree was in psychology, and my PhD is in the same field. Most UX researchers come in with backgrounds in psychology, human-computer interaction/human factors (or a closely related field), or computer science. Occasionally some have backgrounds in other social sciences. But there are other roles within UI/UX - there are UX designers (who usually have art or design backgrounds, or computer science backgrounds) and UI artists.

There are also some UX-adjacent roles that take on all kinds of different names and have people in different backgrounds. For example, my studio has a role that’s called something like “head of player voice”, which is all about the experience of our players, and the person in that role has a background in marketing - but majored in international relations and Asian studies in college.

For marketing lots of majors will work. I know a lot of people in marketing and they’ve majored in all kinds of things. Business and marketing are sort of the easy no-brainer choices, but lot of other things will work.

1 Like