Majoring in CS at UW Madison

<p>Is it difficult to get the computer science major after reaching UW Madison? My acceptance letter says that I have been accepted to a general BS degree.</p>

<p>I am very firm on doing computer science . . . And by when is the major allotted?</p>

<p>That’s probably the College of Letters and Science, which does offer a computer science degree.</p>

<p>Comp Sci is in L&S. Everyone is admitted to the university as a whole at UW. This means you can change school/college/major at any time, provided you meet the requirements for them. Most will start in L&S, including many who will be in engineering later. No limits on comp sci majors- you just need to get the grades needed to be admitted to the major (see their site on the UW website for the particulars). No problem if you can handle the course work. You need to declare the major before you graduate and can take many/most or even all courses without being a major (son took several comp sci courses while a math major and then added courses for comp sci as his second major).</p>

<p>I believe you can first declare your major in your fourth semester. My son just declared CS as his major this term although he has planned to do so from the start. There are some preliminary courses that you need to take first. Contact the CS department and they will tell you what you need to do. Good luck! </p>

<p>By the way, the CS department at UW is very well regarded by employers, and they recruit actively. My son will be interning at a rather well known software company in Seattle this summer, which I find pretty amazing for a college sophomore.</p>

<p>Hmm- is that company actually in the northern suburb of Redmond??</p>

<p>How challenging is the CS program at Madison?</p>

<p>My son is a 15 yr old high school junior who will start college at 16. He has a 3.7 GPA and will take the ACT next week. Based on the pre-test, he should get in the upper 20’s. His HS doesn’t offer AP CompSci, so he’s doing it self-study. He seems to be a natural at programming.</p>

<p>He doesn’t work very hard, but I think he’s capable of buckling down. Just wondering how well he is likely to do at Madison.</p>

<p>Son started UW at 16- was math major then added comp sci. Never did HS comp sci courses. No problems to be foreseen.</p>