Making the Right Choice

<p>Hi, I will be attending Baruch in the fall, and I am having a dilemma. I have no idea which major to choose between Computer Information Systems and Statistics and Quantitative Modeling. </p>

<p>I know for a fact that I would like to work in the IT part of business; possibly IT consulting or technology in general. My problem here is that I am not sure what route to take to become a strong candidate for a job in that field. My first option in doing so would be to major in Computer Information and Systems. The problem with this is that I am not sure if this degree is reputable at Baruch, and if it is a worthwhile degree in general. I have done some research and found out that it is not easy to get a job with such a degree, and that a CIS major is looked upon badly by employers “as an easy major” or easily replaceable by someone overseas.</p>

<p>My second option would be majoring in Statistics and Quantitative Modeling and taking classes that could contribute heavily to an IT firm such as Networking Systems, Quantitative Decisions Making, etc. Then I can minor in Computer Info Systems so that I can have a heavier emphasis on statistics as well as the knowledge/skills about databases/etc that would be beneficial in the IT Field. </p>

<p>My third option, which in my opinion would open up the most options would be to take math heavy electives such as Financial Mathematics from the Statistics and Quantitative Modeling curriculum as well as minoring in math. This way, I can have the option of being an actuary, going into finance, and possibly even IT after passing a few certificates/teaching myself programming basics or landing an internship that will give me IT exposure. </p>

<p>Overall, I am worrisome about the quality and usefulness of the CIS and OPR classes such as Database Management , and Quant Decisions Making. The reason is because I would not like to waste my college education on classes that can be easily taught to anyone through a 2 hour workshop. This is why I find that option 3 would really set me up for potentially any job prospects, and that I wouldn’t have to worry about my knowledge/skills being taught in a 3 hour workshop.</p>

<p>I would appreciate any advice regarding the things I have mentioned in my post. I would also like to know if classes that were taken toward a major could be rewarded as a minor. For instance Math has a requirement of Calc 2, and two other math courses, one 3000, one 4000 level. If I were to take such courses for my major, would the classes apply twice as both my major and for the math minor?</p>