Mallet assembly

<p>does anyone know anything about it?</p>

<p>Yes. What do you want to know about?</p>

<p>well what kind of things they do…they seem quite interesting…</p>

<p>They are a living-learning society for men, though women are able to become unofficial members. They have been around for close to 40 years. Though they are nominally an official honor society, they have historically had a strong independent streak (sometimes to the chagrin of the administration ;)).</p>

<p>They have their own dorm on campus, but its nothing palatial like Blount or Riverside.</p>

<p>D mentioned to me that they’re planning on knocking down the current home of Mallet (along with Paty and others) and building new. Don’t know the time frame though.</p>

<p>Have you ever watched Revenge of the Nerds? Mallet Assembly would be the nerds. </p>

<p>Ultra intelligent guys that march to the beat of a drummer that only they can hear :-)</p>

<p>I was a Malleteer. Unfortunately, when I was one, the Assembly was rather conservative and boring. We did put on a play though. I heard stories about the guys who preceded me. Wish I known them. NJ you arent afraid of stereotyping non Greeks who happen to be in Mallet, are you? lol</p>

<p>Actually, the guys at Mallet ran the gamut. Countryboy, nerdish, jock, Band members, slackers, alienated, politically conscious, politically cynical, religious, atheist, etc. By no means did they fit the Revenge of the Nerds stereotype when I was there. But all were very intelligent, per the entrance requirements of the program. I admit, however, that the group of Malleteers that I knew were not the biggest achievers. More like underachievers. </p>

<p>Have no idea what the Assembly is like today. But I know that some of the Assembly alumni have a social network. </p>

<p>Had the Blount program existed back then, I prob would have done that instead of Mallet.</p>

<p>forgot to say that when I was in the Assembly, our residence hall was right behind the President’s Mansion, in Byrd Hall. I thought it was so cool walking beside, and sometimes on the Pres. Mansion Lawn every morning to get to class. In the next year UA is razing Byrd and the other halls behind the Pres. Mansion, to build four new sororities!</p>

<p>Atlanta, </p>

<p>Would I ever stereotype GDI’s? :-). Seriously though, sorry if I offended. I didn’t mean it in a derogatory way and I apologize if my comparison came off as such.</p>

<p>Anyway the Mallateers were famous (infamous?) for their experiments, blowing things up, arguments during their “self government” meetings, and things launched from their dorm windows back in the day. They were also pretty competitive in intramurals from what I remember. Their disdain for greeks in general and The Machine in particular drops them a notch in my eyes however. </p>

<p>I had no real problems with The Assembly though. My dislike was focused solely on that leftist liberal rag The Crimson White back then :-)</p>

<p>By the way Atlanta, here’s a pic of The Assembly back in the day. Gee I wonder where my revenge of the nerds comparison came from :-)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.mallet-assembly.org/index.php?title=History_of_Mallet[/url]”>http://www.mallet-assembly.org/index.php?title=History_of_Mallet&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;