Mallet Assembly

<p>I’ve applied for membership to this admittedly strange community of guys, but I was wondering if anyone with more experience in all things 'Bama could shed some light on what, who, why there are.
They seem like a cool (loose term) bunch of folk.</p>

<p>I would encourage all students to seek out opportunities to become involved in a variety of activities on campus; however, I would also recommend being careful not to over commit and to explore organizations as far as who and what they stand for before applying to them.:)</p>

<p>Maybe I should phrase it differently. I’m pretty well aware of who these guys are, and I’ve read everything they show to the public on their website. However, having not been on campus for more than two days at a time, I’m relatively unfamiliar with how they, or anyone else for that matter, function within the university.
A little insight from someone who might be personally familiar is more what I’m looking for.</p>

<p>seatide might know. pmail him</p>

<p>“I was wondering if anyone with more experience in all things 'Bama could shed some light on what, who, why there are.”</p>

<p>Did you visit their dorm or meet with them while on campus? If not, you could probably do that in early August to make the most informed decision. They usually have a representative at BB set up at one of the tables in the Ferg.</p>

<p>XX, I have a lot of friends in Mallet and have considered joining myself. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have and I’ll do my best to answer them or find someone who can.</p>

<p>Also, Mallet is proudly coed (I don’t know how you were using the term guys). There were plans of changing dorms and going back to having male-only housing, but the dorm they were planning on moving back into was torn down and replaced by a sorority house and their current dorm, Palmer Hall, is no longer slated for demolition. Mallet’s charter requires UA to provide it with a dorm for its exclusive use, so there will always be a Mallet dorm.</p>

<p>The guys at Reddit took a crack at this recently:</p>

<p>[What</a> exactly is Mallet Assembly? : capstone](<a href=“http://www.reddit.com/r/capstone/comments/w4ug8/what_exactly_is_mallet_assembly/]What”>Reddit - Dive into anything)</p>

<p>(some language ahead, btw)</p>

<p>I was about to recommend the reddit thread as well. Mallet has mixed reviews - ranging from praising it as a bastion of independence and tolerance with a great diversity in members, to those who deride it as a freaky, weird, drug and drinking center for nerds and “people who don’t fit in”. Mallet definitely has a rep on campus, but people’s opinions on it vary widely.</p>

<p>I think it falls somewhere between the two, but it is definitely not for everyone. When you get to campus for the fall, you probably need to visit Palmer and talk to some Malleteers. Go to one of their parties and hang out, just to see if it’s right for you. That’s really the only way to make an informed decision.</p>

<p>I have no experience with this group other than walking past Palmer and personal observations while on campus, but I would certainly second the opinion of visiting first before making a decision to join. It wouldn’t be something my D would consider, but I recognize that there is something out there for everyone and it isn’t my intent to sway anyone’s personal choice against joining something that may interest them. I would encourage a meet and greet of any organization you consider joining.</p>

<p>This post alone from the reddit thread, would make me want to join…</p>

<p>especially the medieval weaponry and nuclear weapon bit…LOL</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>yeah… definitely sounds like it’s not for everybody.</p>

<p>They do interviews before acceptance notes go out, so hopefully there I’ll have a chance to get an inside look at it from a member.
Also I have a couple friends in Mallet who initially encouraged me to join, and they’re some of the coolest nerds I’ve ever met, which is why Mallet came off well to me, and still does.</p>

<p>Well there you go then…Your friends should be able to provide the insight you are seeking regarding what it’s like, who they are, and what it’s all about.</p>

<p>Lots of mention of greeks in those “facts”. Sounds like someone is jelly. </p>

<p>They pride themselves on being inclusive of all types but that isn’t exactly true. They are just as exclusionary as your everyday fraternity on campus. Except they exclude based on test scores and grades instead of looks, money, and personality. To each his own.</p>

<p>vlines, haha that same part made me crack up.</p>

<p>quick questions do any frats/soro or organizations have people of Asian decent? Or are they just out there mixed with everything else. In CA we have predominently Asian frats etc.</p>

<p>I don’t know of any predominately Asian Fraternity on campus. There are however several fraternities of mixed race and ethnicity. The UA greek system is no longer just white/black, though some houses remain this way.</p>