Mallet Assembly?

<p>DS got an email about the Mallet Assembly at UA? Does anyone know anything about it?</p>

<p>I’m very familiar with the Mallet Assembly. Feel free to PM me or post here with any questions you may have.</p>

<p>I know you can be a member and not have to live in their dorm.</p>

<p>Isn’t their dorm scheduled for demolition??</p>

<p>Isn’t their dorm scheduled for demolition??</p>

<p>Not that I’m aware of at this time.</p>

<p>Quite honestly, lots of rumors go around about demolition, and I personally don’t believe them until I see that the Board of Trustees has voted on it.</p>

<p>I would think that this might be more imminent if the UA community had some idea of what the University was going to use that spot for. There was talk at one point of an amphitheater, but now that the city has one, I’m not sure that the university would build a second one.</p>

<p>PS - This is just my speculation at this point, but it’s all pretty much speculation until it’s voted on to be demolished anyway.</p>

<p>Janine Gascoigne</p>

<p>Sorry, about the double post, I did delete it, who knows what happened…okay interesting about the demolition, I had understood that it was to be demolished…oh well, more beds then :)</p>

<p>This is where I had gotten that info:</p>

<p>Quoted:“The Mallet Assembly, which promotes diversity on campus, intends to approach the University about purchasing the Kilgore House. The student group is housed in Palmer Hall, which is slated to be demolished in the summer of 2014, and is looking for another home.”</p>

<p>Article:
[A</a> house without a home](<a href=“Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White”>Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>Yup. I remember that article. From what I understand about people who have been at the university longer than me is that every few years the idea that certain buildings will be demolished gets really widely circulated.</p>

<p>Until there’s a solid plan for what will go there or until the Board of Trustees votes on it, I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into it.</p>

<p>Of course…</p>

<p>My son got an email about Mallet too, also wondering what this is all about</p>

<p>This might help</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1395916-difference-between-blount-mallet.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1395916-difference-between-blount-mallet.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Now I am wondering why my son DIDN’T get an email. I have been urging him to look at Mallet as it sounds like his kind of thing. Any advice on how he can get invited to whatever given that he hasn’t gotten the email?</p>

<p>Leadership of Mallet has been informed that Palmer Hall is slated for demolition in May 2014, though UA has postponed demolition of it and Somerville multiple times over the past few years. Mallet originally moved to Palmer Hall and become a coed housing option because Byrd Hall was being renovated or something of that nature (strangely enough, it became a coed dorm for a year or two afterwards). After a year or so, Mallet would move back to Byrd and Palmer would be demolished. Plans changed and Byrd was demolished and replaced by some sorority houses as Dr. Witt did not want students living near the center of campus. Mallet’s charter with UA requires UA to provide Mallet with a dorm for the assembly’s exclusive use unless both parties agree to nullify that agreement.</p>

<p>tjmom, the application for Mallet is available online and only takes a couple hours depending on how long one takes to write the essays.</p>

<p>One is not required to live in Palmer Hall in order to be in Mallet, but it certainly helps to spend a lot of time “in building” to get oneself better acquainted with your fellow Malleteers. As Mallet is self-governing, room selection is done differently than with other dorms or living-learning communities at UA.</p>

<p>I was on campus today and visited Mallet. I hung out in the lounge for about an hour talking to students and then a couple of CS majors took me over to the computer lounge. I probably spent about an hour there talking to CS students. The Mallet students were a little quirky but very helpful and nice. The dorm itself is a bit dumpy. </p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>The dorm is a bit dumpy…but that gives Mallet it’s sense of traditional quirky! When my DD and I visited Bama the Malleteers were outside chatting, playing music and encouraging the those in the tour groups to look in to the community. It reminded me, in a good way, of my old dumpy dorm and college experience.</p>

<p>I didn’t get a chance to visit Blount what is it like?</p>

<p>my college had a dorm like this too. I didn’t live there, but I had friends that did And I use to hang out there sometimes. I can’t picture my son living in mallet but I can’t picture him living in the honors dorms either.</p>

<p>Why not the honors dorms?</p>

<p>they seem a little sterile to me. I like my colleges model: traditional dorms for underclassmen and Suite style dorms for upperclassmen. although in the suite style dorms you still shared a room.</p>