March 1 Priority Housing Deadline?

<p>I know in the past Bama had a March 1 priority housing application deadline for honors, but I don’t see anything about that on the web site. Since I’m not sure I’ll be attending UA (I’m still waiting on several other offers), I don’t want to pay the enrollment fee/housing deposit yet if I don’t HAVE to. Do I need to apply for housing by the end of February if I want to make sure I get honors housing?</p>

<p>I don’t think that is the case. Simply put, the longer you wait, the further down in the pecking order you will fall as far as room selection is concerned. But all else being equal, I believe that honors kids get priority over non-honors kids.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that if you happen to have suitemates who have an early selection date, they can “pull you in” with them when they pick rooms.</p>

<p>So…if I were to wait until early April to send in my deposit and apply for housing, would I still be able to live in honors housing?</p>

<p>no guarantee on that. nobody here can say. you would probably get in honors housing, but you couldn’t be sure. those with a later pick date have SLIM SLIM pickings of honors dorms.</p>

<p>I don’t think honors kids get priority over non-honors for housing selections (honors kids do not get earlier selection dates). It’s just that honors kids can choose honors housing, which may or may not be filled at that point. </p>

<p>It is unknown if depositing late will mean getting honors housing or not. Each year, demand for honors housing rises. </p>

<p>And…the issue might not be whether you get honors housing, but which hall or with which suitemates. Some frosh who deposit late get upset when they can’t pick who their suitemates will be…or that the only empty honors beds are in suites with upper-classmen.</p>

<p>What is important to you? Do you want certain honors halls, do you want frosh as suitemates, do you want to pick your suitemates?</p>

<p>Oh, I’m not picky about who my suitemates are (I don’t know anyone going to Bama) or which honors hall I end up in - I just want to make sure I do end up in ONE of the honors halls!</p>

<p>Try to contact some freshmen honors students (making friends) via the roommate search or Facebook and see if they can pull you into their honors suite. That is the best idea if you do not have an early pick date. You will have to give them your proxy code and then once they “pull” you in, you will be set for housing. Once you are in a room, log onto mybama and change your proxy code.</p>

<p>I have a freshman starting in August; she and three other girls are wanting a 4 person suite either in Parham or Burke Hall. (Would like Tut suite, but I hear there are only 3 suites??) We have first round choice in choosing housing, but we hear that they don’t open up 100% of the available rooms. What are our chances of being able to obtain a 4-person suite. The girls really want close to sorority row due to rush and sorority membership. Any information would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Students cannot access the roommate finder until the deposits are paid. The FB page would be a possibility although you may find others are reluctant to make a commitment to you until you have committed to attend the UA.</p>

<p>OAN: The priority deadline is listed as April 1st on the UA website, not March 1st.</p>

<p>Sorry I missed this one yesterday!</p>

<p>A couple of things:

• the priority deadline for Housing to guarantee a spot in on-campus housing is April 1. After that, we will work with each student to get them in as soon as possible.
  • Honors students will go in at the same time as non-Honors students. However, we have so much space that is dedicated to Honors community, the priority is in location, not in timing. (This did exist in previous years, but created more confusion for our students than just having one selection time)</p>