March 28-29 honors weekend

<p>I received an e-mail and a call about this special weekend..i was really surprised to hear that i was invited because they said they only chose ~25 freshmen.
i was told that there was going to be an interview, an overnight stay in an honors community, and there was going to be a fun friday night coffeehouse. </p>

<p>i guess im just looking for a little bit of info as to what i can expect, and basically what the purpose of this weekend is (as in does this mean i might be considered for a scholarship)</p>

<p>thanks in advance!</p>

<p>What were your stats like</p>

<p>My daughter attended this weekend last year, and it almost made her change her mind and go to Tech; all the other schools she was considering were much smaller. The appeal of the Tech Honors Program is greatly enhanced by being housed in this "elite" community. While the two honors dorms have average quality rooms, the residents get lots of perks, and are able to enjoy a smaller community within the larger university. </p>

<p>At the weekend, they will keep you busy with information sessions and entertainment; you will meet current honor students and your potential classmates. The interview is pretty low key and as much benefit for you as for the program directors, who are great (this according to my D, of course). Be sure to understand the conditions of continuing in the program once you accept. If your parent(s) go, they will have a short separate program and I'll bet they come away as impressed as my H and I were.</p>

<p>Final invitations come very shortly after the weekend--within a week or two--and should be accompanied by an offer of a stipend to cover part of the housing costs. My D was seriously considering Tech (The April 16 tragedy didn't affect her deliberations at all) but did wind up at W&M (sans perks) for size and other considerations.</p>

<p>In the meantime, my D's best friend (who was unable to do the honors weekend but visited and was interviewed the following weekend) did enter the honors housing program. She has had a fine experience.</p>

<p>thanks so much for the information! i really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Wait, so if you weren't invited to the weekend does that mean u didnt get into honors?</p>

<p>I am kind of confused b/c I was invited to honors weekend at the end of the month and I don't know if this is a special honors program thing, or the finals for the honors application. The letter said there were 1200 applicants and 25 were selected.</p>

<p>SMDur, can you please ask your D what kinds of questions they asked? also can you tell us, if you remember what the conditions of remaining in the program are?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>I think the weekend is for people who are selected for the special honors dorms. I don't think its for all honors applicants. In conclusion, if you didn't get the weekend invitation, don't assume you were denied from honors is what I am guessing. I may be 100% wrong lol.</p>

<p>Right, archrival, it's for the special honors dorms. I'm just a little surprised at the number because I thought there were about 50 openings for freshman...total honors population across the two honors dorms is about 200. There were many more than that at D's weekend last year....I'd estimate about 100+... but of course not everyone decides to attend Tech. </p>

<p>Barrett, I recall they asked her where else she was applying, and what her interests and ambitions were. But it was really more of a dialogue. If I can find out more during our weekly call this weekend, I'll let you know.</p>