Marching Band

<p>My daughter got the letter this week encouraging kids to come down early for 'band week'-to audition for the marching band. She's giving it serious thought, but concerned about the time commitment (practice MWF 4-6 thru the football season, Sat. games, travel).</p>

<p>Anybody else thinking about this? </p>

<p>I just wonder if it might be too much with all of the other adjustments, on the other hand, it could be a great experience.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>A family member of mine was involved with "The Band of the Hour" for two years. She loved it. Probably would have continued longer had it not been for getting a job and running out of time. </p>

<p>If it were me, I'd encourage it for several reasons. First, getting to move in early, gives the student alot of time to get accustomed to campus, start meeting friends, etc., prior to all the main orientation activities and the beginning of classes. While band practices and activities will take up quite a bit of time, I can think of no other extra-curricular that would be any more enjoyable for music kids who might otherwise miss their marching band routine. </p>

<p>Best wishes from one CaneMom to another!</p>

<p>I agree with 1tcm. If your D really enjoys band and wants to do it, she will fit it in. I didn't do band in college I guess because I was intimidated by the time commitment and the fact that I wasn't majoring in music, but I regretted that. My younger child loves HS m. band, and I suspect it will be a factor in his college selection, even tho he probably won't major in music.</p>

<p>I'm a rising senior and I know for a fact that I will not be majoring in music, but if I was going to be a freshman in a college and I had the option of entering early, I'd take it. One, because it's a chance for you to meet your members of the band and make some friends. Secondly, I think it'd be nice to get acquainted to the band program and see what it is like first hand. Third, it should serve as an awesome experience. :) I hope that my advice helped...</p>