Marillyn A. Hewson, CEO Lockheed Martin, donates $15 Million to Bama!

Marillyn A. Hewson, chairman, president and CEO of Lockheed Martin Corp., and her husband, James, have made a gift of $15 million to The University of Alabama to benefit the Culverhouse College of Business.

The gift is the largest one-time financial contribution in the University’s history.

This contribution follows the $5 million commitment the Hewsons made to the College last year to support the Marillyn Hewson Faculty Fellows Program in Data Analytics and Cyber Security, a high-tech Data Analytics and Cyber Security lab, and an endowed undergraduate scholarship and graduate assistantship.

The Hewsons are both graduates of the University

https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/07/hewson-stock-gift-to-university-of-alabama-is-largest-in-ua-history/

I wonder if this is a sign that UA is about to announce a new capital campaign.

Maybe!

The University of Alabama is so INSANELY underrated by all of the lists that rely on reputations that do not mean so much that it disgusts me. It is the best value in America. The Advertising/PR department has been top 10 since I went there in the early 90s. Accounting, Law. Business, Engineering and many other departments are nationally recognized and garnering attention.

Unfortunately, till the push to sharply improve the research (mainly STEM) profile of the university succeeds, UA will continue to be underrated. The good news is that UA now has the facilities, the faculty and is increasing the resources necessary to make that happen over time.

@JohnGaltIII you are spot on in your assessment. It’s a shame that reputation from other schools is considered in rankings. How many competitions that UA students compete in and win will finally be enough proof to everyone that UA puts out a great product? Our engineering department takes in numerous awards in competitions beating out other “well-known” engineering schools and we can’t get a sniff of recognition from the publications.

Agree!! Bama students are winning national awards and competitions, and getting into grad/prof schools like Harvard Med, Harvard Law, MIT, and Stanford. I see Bama STEM students getting hired by the best tech companies as well.