Marist, Ithaca, and Furman

Hello! My daughter wants to study environmental science or studies. In addition to strong academics (preferably “hands-on”/experiential learning), she loves a pretty campus (think matching brick or stone buildings!) and an adjacent college town. She’s also hoping to be suburban or rural since she loves more outdoorsy vibes.

Marist, Ithaca, and Furman have all found their way on to our list. Wondering if anyone can give us a sense of if they meet her “pretty campus” and college town vibe.

Thanks!

I can’t speak to the other schools but Furman is gorgeous. Greenville is a great town too. Has she thought about Sewanee? Great Environmental Science program, beautiful campus, and outdoorsy. Tiny town though!

2 Likes

We did think about Sewanee but she’d like a little larger student body…Furman is on the small side for her but I think the beauty and spaciousness of the campus (from what we have heard at least) might balance the smaller student enrollment.

2 Likes

Certainly the surrounding areas at Marist and Ithaca are lovely, especially at Ithaca. Marist has an attractive modern campus in a more traditional style. Ithaca has a very modern campus that isn’t traditional, but is quite cool. Great views at Ithaca, and it’s the better town. Both campuses are nice but Ithaca is more rural.

1 Like

I’m not thinking college town with any of these three.

Furman is in Greenville but not accessible to downtown which is itself not a college town but a mid size city. If it’s too small UT Chattanooga would make sense and is walkable from a bustling city.

Marist not surrounded and Ithaca a ways away from Ithaca (ie not walkable to college town). SUNY ESF would be small but pseudo part of larger Syracuse which has Marshall Street.

When you say adjacent, do you mean walk to or bus etc.

This would not be Sewanee which is a highway off ramp but yes nice.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Concur that Ithaca is a long walk on a busy road to a very nice small town.

Marist is a shorter walk to Poughkeepsie which has not really recovered from an economic downturn.

What about Univ of Vermont? Great town, walkable, the lake, the mountains, good enviro school.

2 Likes

Furman is a beautiful campus but Greenville isn’t walkable.

Love Ithaca but same.

I think Dickinson might be more likely.

Will your daughter have a car if she attends Furman…because I can tell you first hand…she won’t be walking anywhere to a town from that college.

1 Like

Seconding Dickinson for a walkable/easy access small town; look into St Olaf.
What about Hendrix, Centre, Kalamazoo, St Michael’s?

Hobart and William Smith?

2 Likes

I think University of Vermont, listed above, is a good suggestion, and would also add University of Delaware. Of the 3 you’ve mentioned, the only one I could tell you from seeing it with my own eyes is that Marist is a gorgeous campus, but no cute town to comfortably walk to outside of campus. Also not sure they’re known for environmental science, though I’m sure you could study it there. They have more of a pre-professional reputation.

3 Likes

I concur with the suggestion of HWS. This school offers a very strong environmental studies program. For another idea along similar lines, look into St. Lawrence.

1 Like

Rhodes or Dickinson. Rhodes isn’t college town but it’s in an awesome city and has the most picturesque campus. Easy transportation to all of Memphis and walking distance to a huge natural area. Dickinson has an eclectic campus, but still really cute and right in Carlisle. Strong academics both places.

2 Likes

If looking for another one, add Washington college in Maryland to the list. I can’t say enough about their Env program. They are a certified bee and bird campus. They are on a river, so all science classes are either in or on the river at least once per semester. Check out the Center for Envir Science (CES) building. They actually have water faucets in the labs there that bring in river water to test. There is a company in town (walkable) that hires kids for GIS internships. GIS is the software that enviro people use…your child gets paid during the school year to learn and use GIS and can put on resume. The have a composting club and a campus garden the students take care of, including chickens that any student can go visit at anytime and fruit trees that the students can grab fruit from after class. They encourage double majoring (Chem or bio is a good one), have a “Chesapeake Semester”, have “maymester” trips to Bermuda, Ecuador. There is a greenhouse that some students use for research. There is money for undergrad research (including travel $!) Many very active student clubs. Super cute town to walk to (High Street in Chestertown) that has a vibrant farmers market every Saturday and many festivals. Students can take kayaks out for free. Professors really shine here and really get to know students. Dorms are being updated one at a time. They give amazing merit. Also, very pretty school, all brick buildings, trees, etc.

3 Likes