Master's in 4

Hey yall. Alabama offers a one-year master’s in accounting:

https://catalog.ua.edu/graduate/business/accountancy/mma/#requirementstext

Which, combined with the 120 hour recommendation, got me thinking: is it possible to get through a master’s at Bama in four years? I’ve got about 20 AP credit hours lined up (here’s hoping I don’t fail em). With that it drops to 100. With summer classes, how feasible would it be to dash through the first three years of a bachelor’s and then take the 1 year? Does Bama not like this? Is it cheaper this way?

Thanks for the help =)

Very feasible. I would have a look at the GE requirements and major map and make sure all of your 20 AP credits apply. If they do you basically need to complete the remaining 100 credits in 3 years - 16 to 17 credits per semester. Work closely with your advisor to make sure you have a solid 3 year plan. Taking a course or 2 at your local CC in a summer will also help. I don’t think Bama cares if you accelerate and of course it’s cheaper - saves you a year of college and you are generating income a year earlier - not everyone’s dream but I like the plan as you are still doing a full 4 years and walking out with your masters. Important to try to leave room for internships in this schedule though especially in the latter part of your degree. Good luck.

BTW - my D interested in Bama for prehealth and looking to complete in 3 years and then off to grad school.

You might be able to CLEP out of some classes as well.

I don’t know about accounting, but I know someone who got a bachelor’s in math, and masters in economics at UA.

I don’t know about accounting either, but my son graduated in 3-1/2 years with his undergraduate in CS and Math, and his masters in CS.

@kjcphmom: graduated with both the baccalaureate and the master’s in 3.5 years total?

He came in with 40+ credits from AP and Clep and then was accepted in the University Scholars program after 90 hours. I am not sure if the program is still offered but you should check it out. A few of his courses was able to count for both degrees.

Another here who isn’t sure about accounting, but DS did undergrad in ChemEng and Biology and Masters in Biology in 4. I would guess that if it can be done in Engineering and Sciences then it can probably be done in Accounting. You would definitely need to work closely with your advisor and schedule wisely.