Match me - 1st Gen Latino, aerospace engineering, cost a factor

Demographics

• Mexican American Male
  • US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) or international student
  • Us Citizen
  • State/Location of residency: (state is important if you apply to any state universities)
  • Illinois
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers):
  • Public Mid Size
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional)
  • Male, Latino
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):
  • First Gen
  • Single Parent Household
    Intended Major(s)
  • Aerospace Engineering
    GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
  • Unweighted HS GPA: 3.9362
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.326
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank: N/A
  • ACT/SAT Scores: SAT 1340, awaiting 2nd results

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

• 7 AP Classes ( US History, US Government, Language, Psychology, Calc AB, Literature, Physics)
  • All remaining classes were Honor Classes since Freshman year
    Awards
  • Selected for Brad Scheiders STEM Scholars Program
  • Engineering Summer Scholarship
    Extracurriculars
    (Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)
  • Soccer Captain (2 Years)
  • Robotics
  • Student Leadership - Secretary
  • National Honor Society Community Outreach Coordinator
  • School Peer Tutor
  • Group leader each week for Children’s ministry at church

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

• Essays (8/10)
  • LOR (9/10)
    Cost Constraints / Budget
    (High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)
  • Budget of $45K/ year
    Schools
    (List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)
  • Safety (certain admission and affordability)

• Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)

• Match

• Reach

Schools Considering (depending on Financial Aid)

• University of Michigan
  • Georgia Tech
  • UIUC
  • Purdue
  • Alabama
1 Like

University of Michigan requires both parents’ financial information for financial aid purposes. Will your other parent be cooperative? When using University of Michigan’s net price calculator, be sure to include both of their financial information.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/ says $15k scholarship for your current stats; 1360 SAT or 30 ACT will raise it to $24k. Out-of-state list price is $53k, so net $38k after the $15k scholarship.

1 Like

You want to follow the rest of Illinois and head to Bama :slight_smile:

If your score goes up your aid goes up at Bama - right now $15k and it will be even more under budget. They have a diversity scholarship too. If you’d like a smaller school check UAH.

You might add Arizona too as you’d get $30k off. There are other low cost too.

The remainders I would label reach. Don’t use your test score when a school offers TO.

Unless ga tech has a diversity scholarship I’m not seeing, it won’t make cost so no reason to apply.

Thank you. Getting my dad’s financial info might be tough he has already said he won’t be able to support me in college, but I will talk to him about this requirement.

2 Likes

Check out Missouri M&T, don’t know if the price tag works out but it has a great reputation in engineering…

1 Like

Thank you, I heard Alabama had good merit aid, that’s why it’s on the list :slight_smile:

Thanks I’ll look into it!

Iowa State is a top aero school, and likely to be on the more affordable end of your list. Also UAH; Huntsville is a hub of the aerospace industry and UAH is known for excellence in this field.
For a smaller school with merit potential, Clarkson could be worth a look.

5 Likes

Don’t ‘hear’ but research. I’m not as familiar with Michigan or Ga Tech in regards to diversity but they won’t make costs if there is no support in that way. Alabama has a table. Arizona has a table. UAH has a table. Ms St, WVU, Iowa State will all give you estimates in theIr NPC.

Before you consider any college, rule #1 - make sure you can afford it. Or you can’t consider.

If your dad isn’t helping, how will you afford $45k? Your mom has that covered ? Or is there another plan? Make sure you’ve got this covered or the strategy changes. You can go for a lot less than $45k.

When one is going about this on their own and doesn’t know where to start, they understandably go to high ranked names. But you have a budget and so we here can help you drive that selection bucket. You do not want to be in debt !!

Good luck

https://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/incoming-first-year-transfer

2 Likes

Look into UCF but need to apply and input grades ASAP if you want merit.

2 Likes

.Your mom can afford to pay 45K a year for college without taking out loans other than federal student loan? I am a single mom and no way in the world could I afford to pay that.

My mom has been saving since I was in Kindergarten and she said she has enough for two years. She did say we would both still take out loans too. I’m going off her budget but obviously if we can pay less better.

Thank you

Thank you for all the advice! Looling into this now

This isn’t good.

For one, College is four years. Secondly you can only borrow $27k but you shouldn’t if possible.

One thing people don’t realize - short of the tippy top schools where you go won’t matter. Companies pay for jobs based on where they are located. They won’t kids from ABET certified schools.

I had a friend at Syracuse…her parents sold their house and moved into a trailer to send her. Two years in she had to drop out and transfer to her in state. Why ? They didn’t have a plan.

You need a 4 year plan.

But if she has $90k saved u now and can save more ongoing you do have options.

If you get into UIUC it’s great. There’s also northern ( you could do mechanical…which still can lead to jobs in aviation/aerospace), southern and western Illinois. And UIC. Check the net price calculators at IIT and Bradley. Plus other schools previously mentioned OOS that are aggressive and there’s more !!

Also many schools seek diversity and you might find a program that supports you based on your heritage.

Lots of options in and out of state. You’ve got this !!

6 Likes

Two years at $45k each, so $90k total? Or some other amount? And is that without any loans?

If $90k total, then your budget is about $18k per year, or $23k per year if you add the loans that you are able to take.

However, if that amount requires loans, you may want to investigate full rides like the Presidential Scholarship at Scholarships - Alabama A&M University (no AE, but ME has a subarea of propulsion systems, which is not surprising given its location near a rocket facility). Or at Freshman Scholarships | Tuskegee University where there is an AE major.

5 Likes

So 90K? That is fabulous! Kudos to your mom!!! My daughter is a sophomore electrical engineering major. She had to chase merit since I personally am against any loans except Federal Student loans. She ended up at Texas Tech. Between the engineering and admission stacked scholarships, it covers full cost of attendance. I bet you can make it through your undergrad program without having to take out any loans for your mom and you only Federal Student loan if you stick with instate school.

1 Like

So UIUC is $40,000/year instate. Hope you get scholarship.

To add to the above look at UIC. They do give money.

Also look at IIT. They will most likely give you money to go there. They have great outcomes. Not flashy but you will get internships and a job.

https://www.iit.edu/

1 Like

Michgan does give financial aid to OOS students. It’s a myth they don’t. Talk to them now so you know all your financial aid options. Unless your Sat is good for your school don’t submit. Apply to all national scholarships that you can.

Unless the OP can get the non-custodial parent to cooperate with financial aid forms, University of Michigan will not offer need based aid. If the non-custodial parent will cooperate, University of Michigan need-based aid will be based on both parents’ incomes and assets.

1 Like