Match Me: Computer science major undergrad [CA resident, 3.74 GPA, 1500 SAT (1540 super)]

SJSU does post prior year admission thresholds. Here is the listing for fall 2023 frosh admission: Freshmen Impaction Results | Admissions .

For non-engineering majors at SJSU, the threshold impaction point index divided by 800 is the GPA (as recalculated for CSU) needed for admission. Note that while many majors (including data science) had thresholds of 2000 to 2080 (equivalent to GPA of 2.5 to 2.6), CS had a threshold of 3440 (equivalent to a GPA of 4.3 – the highest possible in the CSU recalculation is about 4.4). For SJSU, being a local area applicant (high school in Santa Clara County) is worth 200 points (equivalent to 0.25 added to GPA). Thresholds could vary from year to year as the competitiveness of the applicant pool for each major varies.

For engineering majors (including software engineering) at SJSU, the impaction point index adds 400 * math GPA to the basic 800 * GPA. However, the web site does not specify whether math GPA uses any weighting. Software engineering had a threshold of 4800, which could be gotten with a 4.0 GPA and 4.0 math GPA.

1 Like

Thanks, yes, I will be applying to other UCs as well. Thanks for the calculator, I will enter the details and calculate the GPA.

Thanks, Yes I have spoken to my counselor. These are choices I have finalized and I’m also looking for some additional college suggestions. Thanks!

Yes, I was planning to do EA for most schools (including SCU)

SJSU is the local CSU.

2 Likes

Yes, I was planning on EA for SJSU

1 Like

The CSUs only have one admission cycle. There is no EA.

The conversation above when we were talking about EA was referring to Santa Clara.

1 Like

What are you looking for in a school?

When I see your list I’d throw in Arizona as a safety, UMN as likely and Ohio State a target. But I’m basing that on some of the schools on your list and don’t know if that’s what you’re truly seeking - large. Arizona is a top school for MIS. Indiana Kelley too for MIS - if that were the interest - MIS being in the business school as opposed to CS.

In regards to your mid size, maybe U of Denver, SMU, Butler types with SMU a likely and the other two safe.

People naturally say NEU matches to Drexel and Cincinnati due to co op but you can likely do those anywhere.

Best of luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.