Match Me--Male NE Student looking for High Academic LAC + club or varsity rowing

Looking for high academic LAC or smallish schools under 6,000. Ideally will have club rowing or varsity rowing, but not D1. New England preferred but willing to go anywhere in US.

Demographics

• US citizen
  • Connecticut of residency:
  • Small public science charter high school
  • Male/white

Intended Major(s)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.89
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.12
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 35 ACT/1520 SAT

Coursework

Five APs so far, will be seven or eight, three dual enrollment to date, BC Calc next year, double science each year (required by theme charter school) fourth year of Spanish next year.

Awards

Extracurriculars
Ok ECs, worked for caterer, volunteered at same non profit four years in a row, rowing.

Essays/LORs/Other
Medium strength essay

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Applying to public and private for range of merit options, will consider some schools with no merit options if they meet need.

Schools
Middlebury fits it all --size, academics, financial aid, club rowing. Reach school.
Carleton?
Bowdoin?
Colgate?

What else? What are some good targets for me?

Any particular major?

Those 4 schools are reaches for everybody.

You should reach, but Iā€™d look at a few other schools which also meet your criteria:

Franklin & Marshall
Conn College
Trinity

5 Likes

Probably govt, political science or some kind of global studies.

Yes, definitely they are reachesā€“those are the easy ones to find! Now looking for targets and safer choices with similar criteria. Thank you!

Should add, he prefers something outside of a large city, which makes it harder. Was thinking maybe Union (small city) or Hobart, any experience with those?

How about St Lawrence in Canton
Or St Maryā€™s in MD
Per this list

Or club at SUNY Geneseo.
https://www.geneseo.edu/crew

3 Likes

Bucknell, Lehigh and Lafayette came to mind if youā€™re ok with mid-Atlantic. W&L maybe? Good poli-sci/government majors.

1 Like

Colgate is D1 so Iā€™m not sure why it is on your list if you are excluding D1 programs.

I agree that looking at Hobart, Franklin & Marshall, St Lawrence, and Union might be good options. If you are considering D1 programs after all, maybe Holy Cross.

D1 in rowing is a little different. Itā€™s not 100% off the list, but we have plenty of those programs already. Looking for targets with mens club. Thank you!

Thank you

Thank you @Hippobirdy, that is helpfulā€”will look into Geneseo. Do you know of a list of club crew? It seems impossible to find.

Maybe Ithaca College?

2 Likes

This wiki lists three governing bodies for collegiate rowing, club or varsity levels.
https://findatwiki.com/American_Collegiate_Rowing_Association

Edited to add ACRA
https://www.americancollegiaterowing.com/home-1#members

1 Like

I think these are 4 great recommendations. F&M has the best reputation of the 4 for financial aide. However, this student has very strong academics and would be a top student at Hobart & St. Lawrence. As such, heā€™d be a strong candidate for scholarship money on top of any need based money. I love Union. It would be more competitive for scholarship money, but it would be worth a shot. Iā€™d also add Tufts to the list. A little bit of a reach but itā€™s great for financial aid so it is worth adding to the list. Not in the city, more suburban location. Lehigh & Clark are also good for financial aid and would be worth adding to the list although Clark might be too urban for his taste. Lehigh is in a medium size city but doesnā€™t have an urban feel.

My cousinā€™s son went to Hobart, was an athlete there, and had a great 4 years. Iā€™ve been there and I think a rower would live the beautiful lake front campus.

I do not have experience with a student at Union. Iā€™ve been there and liked the campus. Itā€™s unusual for a LAC in that it offers a comprehensive school of engineering. Itā€™s also great for govā€™t and poli sci, consistently placing students in internships in both Albany and DC. Both are described on their website under the Poli Sci department. Their ā€œTerm in Washingtonā€ is an especially attractive program. Iā€™ve always thought of Union as a hidden gem. For someone who seems to like the outdoors, there are lots of recreational opportunities within easy reach, both on the Erie Canal and in the Adirondacks with its wonderful lakes regions in addition to the mountains.

1 Like

If mid-Atlantic is in-bounds, I would look at William and Mary. It has fantastic government / poli sci departments, with a DC office that hosts semester-long and winter/summer sessions, as well as a great international relations department and a joint degree program with the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. Undergrad size is just over 6,000. Williamsburg might not be close-enough-to-a-small-city for him, but it could be worth visiting to see.

In terms of rowing, they have a club team that seems to do pretty well ā€” their novice menā€™s 8+ and 4+ both came in first place at the Head of the Hooch (row2k results) last fall (14:40.8 for the 8; 15:41.9 for the 4). Their team site implies your son might be able to do an overnight with one of the guys on the team and a ride-along with the coach if he visits during practice.

1 Like

Hamilton.

Menā€™s rowing shakes out a little differently than other sports. Itā€™s not an NCAA sport so schools that are D1 may be in a lower grouping, and D3s might be in a higher group. There are also ā€˜clubā€™ teams that compete up for some regattas and against some lower ranked schools in others. D2 schools compete up or down, wherever they fit best.

You could look at the teams participating in some regattas and see how they are classified. You should know that sometimes club sports are self supporting and can end up costing $5k or more, depending on how far they travel. My daughter plays club hockey for her school and has to pay for it herself, but she got lucky this semester and the college gave the team a big payment so the individual players didnā€™t have to pay this semester.

3 Likes

With respect to rowing, Hamiltonā€™s new boathouse should be of interest:

https://www.hamilton.edu/news/story/new-boathouse

Academically, Hamiltonā€™s fairly uncommon public policy major (which builds off of the fields of political science, economics and philosophy) might appeal to your son. Tracks in basic government and world politics also attract many students.

4 Likes