Match me: New to the US [H4 visa], rising HS senior who wants to go into CS (3.78/1490)

Nope, I would have lived in Texas for 24 months before high school graduation.
I followed the form you sent and after answering “no” to the 36months question, it kinda just ends. Does that mean it will be up to the institution to decide your residency?

About my class rank, my counselor said that the school does not rank so I don’t know what rank I am in. However, I do know that I’m not in the top 6% required for UT Austin nor in the top 10% for A&M.

Thanks for your response!

If you answer yes to question 1 and no to question 2, it says to go to part F.

Without a top 6% / 10% rank, UT Austin / Texas A&M will be reaches. Texas A&M also has secondary admission to CS that effectively requires a 3.75 college GPA.

2 Likes

I answered no to question 2 in part D, which then tells me to go to part E. On Part E I answered yes to question 2 which then tells me to go to part G. After answering the questions there, it doesn’t really leave you with a result?

I was hoping A&M would be a target, doesn’t it first have you admit to general engineering and then CS or any specific major from junior year?

I really appreciate your help, thank you so much!

You’ve already received some great suggestions. I particularly like the ones of U. of Houston and UT-Dallas for the potential to get in-state tuition, as well as UA-Huntsville and U. of New Mexico.

Some other schools you may want to consider include:

• U. of Tulsa (OK): It’s a small school that has been heavily recruiting National Merit Finalists. Even though you aren’t one, I think that your SAT scores would be very attractive to them.

• Illinois Institute of Technology: This Chicago school gives good merit aid, so I think it’s feasible that this school could come within budget. It also has a larger percentage of international students than at many college campuses, which might be a nice feature for you.

• DePaul (IL): Another Chicago school that would likely get you good merit and has a number of CS offerings.

• New Jersey Institute of Technology: This school is in Newark NJ, a hop, skip, and a jump from NYC, and you may receive sufficient merit aid to bring this within budget. Did not see any requirements under scholarship eligibility that you be a US citizen or permanent resident.

Yes. The secondary admission should be considered a reach, since getting a 3.75 college GPA is not easy.

Regarding the residency form, if you have to get to parts F or G, it is not so clear cut whether you will be a resident for tuition purposes in Texas.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.