Match my daughter D23 - future senator...or environmental monkeywrench gang member

Your daughter also may want to consider a school such as Hamilton, which offers a long-established semester-length program in D.C., with associated internships.

1 Like

Occidental is probably closer to a target. I am an alum and majored in Diplomacy and World Affairs. It was an excellent program and saw many renowned speakers like Jocelyn Elders (former head of Health and Human Svcs), Ambassador to Peru, poet Maya Angelou, Bill Press who was head of Democratic Party in CA at time and David Horowitz (well known Conservative writer. And these are just the ones I remember from 25 plus years ago. And, school was 1,300 students at the time. Several films/TV shows filmed there as well.
(Unfortunately they gave an honorary degree to Bill Cosby several years before his issues).

Yes I noted that it was a target.

The Cos fooled everyone !!

I was agreeing with you!

At least they did not give an honorary degree to OJ :).

UW (both) has a 50% + acceptance rate for OOS, while that may not be a true safety, with the stats of the OP, it is pretty close.

1 Like

fair point – and you’re right how it’s still somewhat amazing Iowa gets to dictate so much of the landscape…

Though she loved the quad vibes, I think she’ll be flexible if she needs to be for choices. I’ll have her look at American as well, and likely keep GW and certainly Georgetown in the mix. Haven’t looked at Bryn Mawr – but good parallel to Barnard.

And to @AustenNut - we went to a Macalester info session; worth revisiting it. And Willamette is new to me.

as for @Ethic – yes, we were hoping UWs admit rates were near-safeties for her. But ok to throw another in the mix.

So far for SCOIR it looks like her safeties have her scores in the >75% or so from her highschool of admitted students. Targets are around 50-75%. Reaches are reaches (ie. usually <50% of peers).Though the 5Cs really don’t take many kids from her highschool (and the ones they do take are often lower scores than high performers).

I think her essays will have to close the deal in most places.

1 Like

I used to say this - and then several people came on and talked about kids with 35 ACTs and 4.6 GPAs with 10 APs getting deferred or rejected.

I look at the #s and see the same as you - but others tell me I’m incorrect (talking about Wisconsin)…hence I said that.

Stats wise in what they publish - I don’t disagree. But others on the CC have stated it’s not the case.

Thanks

1 Like

Has she thought about Oberlin? It would be an easier admit than some of the others on your list, and it seems as though she’d like it.

1 Like

The kids that I have seen get rejected from their safeties with above average stats seem to telegraph through their essays they view the school as a safety and not really somewhere they want to be. Its relatively easy for a AO to ferret those out. If the OP puts the effort into the application that needs to be there, I think the OP is a shoe in for UW’s.

2 Likes

Reaches are reaches for EVERYONE. That being said, my son - who had similar stats to your daughter (weighted GPA - 100.2 (in a school that doesnt rank), 15 APs - all 5s except for two 4s and two 3s, SAT - 1540, public policy major, extra curriculars were heavy in internships in local gvt, he was also involved in student gvt and model UN. LOR from local politicians (including a state senator) - is now a freshman at Princeton (we are not legacies, nor full pay).

My advice to you guys for Princeton - her essays need to reflect her passions. My son’s application was very one dimensional (which might have harmed him for other selective schools, but not Princeton). His essays, graded paper, even the short questions - all had a history or government or politicial science topic that he tied into himself. If she can translate her leadership and political engagement in her essays to show what she would like to do/has done to make the campus community and the world a better place (Princeton has an unofficial motto - Princeton in the nation’s service and the service of humanity). Good luck to her and please tell her not to be discouraged!! The whole process is so stressful, but if shes able to truly express who she is as a human being in her essays - she will be in a good place!

2 Likes

thank you for the encouragement and perspective! Did your son REA to Princeton? How’s he liking it there?

Just remember that a school like Princeton is focusing on assembling a class. So it is a matter of what you contribute to that mix in a given year.

He didnt - he applied RD. And he really loves it there. I wont lie - he said he has to work very hard, a lot is expected of them, but thankfully the major he has chosen is one he is very passionate about, so he makes it a point to go to office hours, and use the resources afforded to the students. To @compmom’s point - yes, they are assembling an incoming class, absolutely - and they only have certain spots, etc. I was just explaining our family’s experience when my son applied. Its definitely important to go in with a healthy perspective, understanding that any T10 is really a reach for anyone (including my son!). PS - if she stays honest and true to who she is in her essays, the school that’s right for her will be waiting!!

1 Like

I think Dickinson College would be such an excellent fit for your daughter. They just hosted the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) for a conference and have a dedicated center for sustainability and a college farm. Low greek life, beautiful campus. Easy access to Washington DC and Harrisburg PA, several Asian restaurants in Carlisle (Issei Noodle, Mount Fuji, and Jewels of India are a few restaurants that come to mind). It seems like a likely/safety school and she would also be a strong candidate for the 35k Presidential Scholarship with her city council work.

3 Likes

thanks! The IPCC conference sounds cool in particular. Dong some reading, they seem to be already carbon neutral!

1 Like

I like the suggestion of Dickinson, so I would second that. I’m surprised that Whitman hasn’t shown up on your list or in any of the suggestions. She’d probably get merit money there. It seems like a perfect safety for a kid who’s interested in environmental science and public policy. Their website and list of majors speak for themselves with regard to their commitment to environmental studies. Maybe it hasn’t shown up because it doesn’t have easy access to a big city, but when we’re talking safety you don’t necessarily get everything you want. And if Grinnell (great school) is on the list AND an interview, then it doesn’t seem that access to a big city is essential. Not to mention that Walla Walla has its own charm and is like a metropolis compared to the area around Grinnell.

5 Likes

by the way – got all her UC applications in finally. Not last minute…but not a lot of time to spare! It’s been a tough quarter juggling challenging classwork and the applications for her. lots of lessons being learned about planning…

3 Likes

I was thinking same about Oberlin - also in comparison to Grinnell. My oldest (similar stats to your kid) is at Oberlin studying Environmental Studies and Geology (and German and Anthropology) - some combination of majors and minors will arise out of those…

Oberlin is very progressive and a good landing spot for a social justice warrior.

3 Likes

Best of luck! Keep us posted.