Match my son - engineering or bio

If he is interested in MSU, he should research their Lyman Briggs College for the Sciences. It is their honors natural sciences program, and students get perks like first pick of classes, access to research as undergrads, and even classes in the basement of their dorm. I know admission comes with some merit package, but I am not sure how much it is.

1 Like

If you need affordable and want near a big city (like Atl) consider KSU Engineering Accreditation - Southern Polytechnic College of Engineering and Engineering Technology.

2 Likes

Pitt could be a good choice if he’s interested in prosthetics/orthotics. The list of grad programs in this field is surprisingly short, but Pitt has one of them. CAAHEP / NCOPE Accredited Orthotist & Prosthetist Education Programs Between that and the med school, there’s a lot of interesting research going on there. UW-Seattle is another that has a prosthetics/orthotics grad program… and they have the Human-Centered Design & Engineering major which is very much project-based and interdisciplinary. With max OOS merit I think it would hit your budget.

The Biometric Systems Engineering major at WVU is unique and might land somewhere on the Venn diagram of his interests.

Sounds like he has a lot of great options! I hope the situation with his sibling continues to improve.

2 Likes

almost done with early applications! He has applied to Alabama, ASU, Michigan State, Virginia Tech (ED), UVA, and VCU so far. He’s finishing up his supplementals for WPI, Colorado School of Mines and Purdue. After that he’ll take a break. He’s going to compare what he’s already applied to, to some more safeties/targets to see if they add anything (West Virginia and/or George Mason being the two obvious ones), otherwise he’ll be done. Of course being 17, he’s thinking he might want to throw in a curve ball for a pre-med program. lol

It’s interesting, his essay quality is kind of all over the place, but I guess that’s to be expected for him, he’s not a writer. His UVA essays were quite good, and his VT essays were just average – it would have been better if it was the opposite but what are you going to do? I will say writing a good essay in 100 words or less (or in some cases 60 words) seems really, really difficult. Hats off to kids that can do that - it’s definitely a cool skill that could be a differentiator for those that can do it.

3 Likes

It’s an important skill for sure, but for engineering in particular I think it might be more harm than good. Good communication skill are paramount in engineering, but creative writing is not. It seems like schools that put an emphasis on essays might be overlooking better engineers that just aren’t great creative writers.

Congrats to him on getting the ball rolling!

1 Like

yeah, i had that thought as well. I’ve read some example essays and I was blown away how good some kids are at 17 years old… it’s pretty cool, but also seems a bit unrealistic. My S23 is a competent writer based on what the school has taught him. It’s a formulaic writing style that conveys the information requested in a coherent and logical manner, but there’s little interesting about it. Fortunately he got started early enough (again can’t thank everyone here enough) that he was able to relax his style somewhat over the multiple iterations he did, so that at least a little of his personality came out.

I do find essays that asks about resilience (VT being an example) to be difficult for kids like S23, who have never had any real issues to deal with, everything seems pretty trivial, but he related things he found challenging and how it relates to his mindset as best he could while acknowledging his luck, and we’ll see.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.