Match programs for aerospace/materials and mechanical engineering [3.4GPA, 1500 SAT, <$30k/year]

I cannot take ap chem next year in tandem with ap physics and biology… : (
if I am taking ap physics c and physics 2. and biology, is that acceptable. i already have ap calc . if im correct physics c counts as 2

No, you must have chem or you won’t meet minimum qualifications.

PhysicsC counts as only 1 of the required AP classes.

PhysicsC is equivalent to one semester of college intro level physics.

1 Like

You have champagne tastes and a fizzy water budget. The places you want are what everybody wants- name brands. The UK is both very competitive and expensive for international students. The direct admission (& the less expensive) places will all require you to have Bio, Chem, Math, and often Physics, to a high AP level, or a year of college level in those subjects. Most EU countries have either have limits on non-EU students for medicine OR charge fees you can’t afford for medicine (for other subjects they can be affordable).

Getting on a student visa will not be a problem. Going through the immigration process after that will be a problem until your parents have a green card and can apply for you, which will take at least another full year after they have theirs. IIRC, you will not be able to stay in the US during that time.

Not a lot of those about atm.

1 Like

Australia is open to international applicants to medicine.
Australia is mostly offers undergraduate admission programs, though there are a few graduate admission programs.

The acceptance rate for undergrad programs is around 30%

Admission consideration require a minimum of s 2.7 GPA, 61-64 score on the GAMSAT and a strong personal interview. Most successful applicants also have a strong application portfolio of medically related ECs. The valued ECs will vary by school. Research oriented schools will want to see clinical or lab-based research experiences. More clinically oriented school will expect to see rural or small community setting medicine or public health volunteering.

The. biggest negative for international applicants–the cost. Annual cost for just tuition are AUS$57,800 to AUS$72,000. (In US currency, $39,000-48,600) You will need to add food, rent, transportation and other living expenses to the tuition costs.

2 Likes

Going through the immigration process after that will be a problem until your parents have a green card and can apply for you, which will take at least another full year after they have theirs. IIRC, you will not be able to stay in the US during that time.

There’s currently a backlog for green cards and it is going to take a long time for my parents to receive their green card. I am not sure the exact number of years, but it is going to extend past my undergraduate years.

OP is most likely on an H4 (dependent of H1) visa. She is correct that she will only be able to have that visa until she turns 21. Getting a student visa is her best option if she wants to continue living here in the US.

1 Like

This is true. And the process to turn that student visa into a work visa and then go through the whole application process, and wait for several years (even decades) for the green card is going to be really hard. I’m not willing to do that…

The other option my parents have told me about is to go abroad for undergrad and then com back for med school but as you are saying, they will not international students.

I really don’t know what to do. I wish I was able to achieve great grades so I wouldn’t even have to worry about that as a factor. It feels like I’m stuck, honestly

elsewhere in NY state.

What should my schedule look like for next year?

Back it up again, and consider putting medicine to one side- because it is a major confounding factor, and your post is about engineering!

You will not have the right to remain in the US once you finish university. You could do UG in the US, then do a Masters in the US, which would buy you 1-2 more years- but you are unlikely to have the right to remain in the US even then. So, what countries will give you the right to remain? The UK will, but it isn’t affordable. There are engineering programs in the Netherlands that are within your budget, and you have a year after graduation to find a job that will get you a residence visa- something an engineering degree would make possible.

I gather that you don’t see your home country as a desirable option, but it is a possibility. What degree would be most useful to you there? For example, if you got an engineering degree at (say) Stony Brook, and went back to your home country after that could you get a good job until your parents can get you a green card?

3 Likes

Do you mean senior year classes? You are taking multivariable, correct? Then take 4 more core courses…English, Soc Studies, Science, Foreign language at the highest level of rigor you can while still getting good grades.

Then, do the ECs that you enjoy…do not choose ones that think will help you in college admissions.

3 Likes

@gluson, I second the suggestion to drop med school plans and focus on engineering.

Your total cost (both in terms of actual dollars and opportunity cost) will be much lower, and it’s a highly employable field with a much better chance of finding a work visa-sponsoring employer because there continues to be a shortage of qualified candidates.

You could pursue an undergraduate degree abroad and try to get residency there later, but I am guessing you’d rather stay close to your family and live in the country you are familiar with (the US). So I still think the CUNYs and SUNYs are your best options.

2 Likes

@gluson

I concur the above posters. If your long term game plan is to stay in the US, medicine is not a good career choice. Few international students are accepted into US med schools, and even if you are, once you’ve graduated from med school, it’s unlikely you’ll become eligible independently for a green card. Most US medical residency programs only offer J-1 visas, not H-1B visas which means you’ll be expected to leave the US once you complete residency and cannot apply to re-enter the US for a minimum of 3 years.

3 Likes

This is all so incredibly disheartening. I’m going to try my best to do what I can do. However, it seems like I have very limited options and cannot pursue my passions. I am going to consult with my guidance counselor again and immigration lawyers, however, I already have an idea of what I will be permitted to do. Thank you all for your help in this matter, I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to offer advice.

IIRC, American medical schools will NOT take credits from college degrees done abroad.

@WayOutWestMom am I right or wrong?

Hello,

are you in NYC Or upstate?

Your best bet would be to apply for SUNY/CUNY

Start here

https://www.suny.edu/attend/find-a-suny-program/

Try to attend the SUNY school closest to your home and offers your intended major to keep the cost down.

SUNY tuition is very reasonable.

If you are in NYC Hands down you should apply to City College (CUNY)

Are you a rising senior?

If yes, then you should definitely apply for the dream US scholarship, which will cover tuition at all of the CUNY schools.

Based on the information you wrote, I do not think that you will be eligible for the Peralta scholarship but I will still post the information

2 Likes

I am open to going to a suny school- I am particularly interested in Binghampton. and yes, I am a rising senior.
I will check to see if I qualify for the dream act, but I do not think so. I am a dependant of H1-B visa holder.

1 Like

I’m going to tag @happymomof1 who might be a little familiar with the immigration track you will need to follow.

1 Like

Correct. Because OP is here on a valid visa.

IMO it’s unfortunate that such scholarships are not available to students like OP.

1 Like

You can…just not on the terms you want!

You can go to medical school- you just aren’t interested in going to countries that you can afford / have the the right to live.

You can be a health care professional in the US, but you only want to be an MD.

You can study to be a biomedical engineer and in time work in the US.

You have more choices than most people in the world, but like all people, you have to choose what is most important to you. IF your real passion is to practice medicine as a physician, you can do that. IF you really want to do that in the US, it will be a long road but it IS possible for foreign trained doctors to come to the US- not easy, but possible. How badly do you want it?

(ps, no you are not a dreamer, as you are in the US legally).

3 Likes

No, you won’t. The Dream Act only applies to children of undocumented immigrants who were brought to the US as very young children.

And not all doors to medicine are closed to you.

You can enter some other healthcare profession. Work in that field until you receive your green card, then apply to med school. The process is doable, though not easy.

Nurses, for example, are in very high demand right now.

If you become a nurse, then you have the option to become an APRN (Advanced.Practice Nurse) APRNs are a midlevel medical professional. Not a doctor, but able to practice medicine independently in most states.

And if you still wanted to be a doctor after a nursing career, you can take your chances on getting a med school acceptance just like everyone else.

For ideas about what other healthcare professions that may be open to you–try searching this database–Explore Health Careers

You also need to realize that you probably won’t get into med school even if you had your green card. There are tons of freshmen pre-meds, but 85% of them never finish their pre-reqs or apply to med school. Of the 15% that do persist to the end and apply, fewer than 40% get an acceptance. The odds are stacked against everyone–not just you.

8 Likes