Match Rising Senior: TX resident with 3.94/1560, under $60K for Cognitive Science, Psych, Pre-law(?) [home school, no rank]

I am not sure of the Posse requirements; he was just recommended by his Youth and Govt. for applying.
We are not eligible for any need-based aid. I am still looking at different colleges; we are working on NPC’s for colleges. Texas publics are my first choice for him, but we are collecting suggestions for different names.

1 Like

Thank you! He is interested in many things. The list is helpful. He did mention Brandeis to me; we just have to sort out the finances.

Never thought about Canada at all! Thanks for suggesting.

1 Like

I don’t know - all these colleges seem a tad intimidating. But I do know that it’s a wonderful school. And Houston is home for us. :slight_smile:

There is no pre-law major at most schools.

Also, make sure your son does a deep dive into the curricula for cognitive science when he is deciding where to apply. Some programs are more psychology-based, some more neuroscience-based, some more linguistics, and some more computational. He should make sure he is comfortable with what is offered/required and also if he has a strong interest in one sub-area, to make sure there is sufficient depth in that are for his time at college.

Most colleges publish both the requirements for the major as well as an online catalog of courses that are offered each semester. Note that sometimes a particular course may only be offered every other year.

5 Likes

Good to know. Thanks!

Thanks! This school was not on our radar.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

I just sent you a DM. Let me know if you have trouble accessing it.

I would be ecstatic if he got into the program at UT Austin; however, from visits there and a lot of anecdotes, its anybody’s guess if he will get the major he wants, especially for Neuroscience. But I am keeping my finger crossed. We will add UVM to the mix; LAC’s are lovely, but cost might be a factor based on the NPC’s my husband ran this morning.

1 Like

Tons / most LACs would come under $60k with merit. Some well under.

A Kalamazoo, Depauw, Willamette, Beloit…even in Texas Trinity or Southwestern.

You need to check curriculums. All neuro isn’t the same and some wont call it neuro but might still have the curriculum to make it happen.

Here’s one fine school that would put you in the 30s/40s but it might not have the geographic reach you want.

When you are full pay and yet don’t want to pay full, you have to make trade offs.

But if you want to go to UTA, an LAC is going to be a polar opposite. If you like UTA, most every flagship in the country can get you in under $60k (not every) whether a Utah or Alabama or Kansas or Florida or South Carolina or Binghamton or Oklahoma or Washington etc. and many far far far below $60k.

1 Like

Is your son interested in a liberal arts college or a smaller university? If so, there are plenty of choices to consider. Some of them include:

4 Likes

Sorry for the delayed reply. I had not considered most of the colleges you have kindly listed here, except Cornell. We will certainly look at them. Thanks!

1 Like

Just to clarify, the flagship is called UT. Another school is called UTA, that is University of Texas at Arlington. If he isnt a direct admit to UT he could always do the CAP program and attend UT as a sophomore

1 Like

You may already realize this, but I was referring to Cornell College in Iowa, not Cornell University in New York. They are very different schools!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.