Match S25! Initial List

We love TU! D23 is attending so S25 is likely a no.

Great suggestion though!

2 Likes

How about Connecticut College? It’s known as a bit preppier (ie, Alex P Keaton) for the area, no Greek life, small (1900 students, I believe) and Economics is a popular major. I see that they have a rock climbing wall in their Athletic Center. They also have a sailing team.

Acceptance rate is 40 percent-ish … likely a match with your S25’s stats.

What about Butler? I toured it earlier this summer and was impressed with their overall campus, business program, and athletic facilities. They have a club climbing team. Although it’s 4500 students it feels smaller than that.

1 Like

I like Butler! D23 applied. Might be a good stop if we go on an Indiana trip.

Amusingly, Utah’s economics department is famously dominated by Marxists. The business school is…not. The latter gets much more attention and funding (the new university president was formerly Dean of the business school).

That’s really funny. I think if he was at a SLAC like W&L or Claremont McKenna he would study economics, at a bigger school probably business.

This seems perfect.

1 Like

Will he apply ED and test optional at W&L? Full pay, male, unusual state and double legacy with excellent grades…
Maybe add Elon as likely and Davidson as reach

1 Like

Undecided at this point. We love W&L but he needs to go on a tour and see some other schools too. I’m not sure that Claremont McKenna or W&M aren’t a better fit. That said, he’s a multi generation legacy to W&L so if legacy still exists next year, definitely a hook I think.

1 Like

Next question-where does he want to work/live after college? Also I think SMU Cox is more likely a reach.

Unsure. He says he really doesn’t know. I think he’s open to most places but mountains and lakes/oceans are desirable in the longer term.

SMU-Cox has a good acceptance rate with kids from his high school with lower grades, but you never know! He’s hoping for a mid 1400s SAT score to submit for some schools. I guess we’ll see.

Based on the list, I think Bucknell could be a nice fit.

1 Like

As you likely know, I like starting with the most likely options before moving on to the schools where chances for admission are more uncertain. With that in mind, these suggestions are listed roughly from most likely admits to least likely. Many of the schools came from this list of students who qualified for the climbing nationals in 2023.

• Cal Poly: Humboldt: About 5500 undergrads, and a WUE school

• Fort Lewis (CO): About 3300 undergrads, and it’s a WUE school

• U. of Dallas (TX): About 1500 undergrads

• Quinnipiac (CT): About 6100 undergrads

• Belmont (TN): About 7400 undergrads

• Eckerd (FL): About 2k undergrads

• Whitman (WA): About 1500 undergrads

• U. of Denver (CO): About 6200 undergrads

• Brandeis (MA): About 3700 undergrads

• Tufts (MA): About 6800 undergrads

2 Likes

How about Wheaton in IL? I know you said no to Hillsdale, but I would encourage a look at it. My D25 visited this year and fell in love with it. So much intellectual discourse there.

Calvin university might appeal also.

2 Likes

Willamette University in Salem, Oregon. (If you go to the Willamette website and search for “climbing,” you may see some options that might appeal to your son.)

Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.