Matching Merit Scholarships

<p>My Daughter has just been accepted to Duquesne (Speech Pathology - 5 yr progam). She has an un-weighted GPA of
4.0 and has taken 7 AP classes and one dual enrollment class. Her SAT is 2000. She has also been accepted at two other colleges. Both of the other schools have offered her much higher Merit Scholarships. Does anyone know if Duquesne will increase their Merit scholarship amounts. Please let me know if anyone has any luck and how they approached asking?</p>

<p>My daughter has similar stats, and was 3rd in her class. We spoke with them about additional merit and they said it was not negotiable. Like your experience they offered the lowest merit aid of all schools she was accepted to. They had the best 5 year physician assistant program so she accepted there anyway. Hopefully she will be able to apply for some of the private scholarships as she gets deeper into their program. The financial aid was basically the $5000 Stafford loan. </p>

<p>My daughter also got into the DU PA program very similar Stats… I am an Alumni from DU as well… She also got into two other PA programs and was offered more merit then DU… Waiting on three more PA programs but I was surprised by DU’s scholarship … Seems like $12k and $14k seems the usual … Did any one get higher ?
Jury is still out until we see the others</p>

<p>My D received 13000 a yr. She is upset because she knows another student who received 14,000 yr and their stats and scores are much lower. I think that Duq offers money according to the program and not the students true merit. I sent a letter, fingers crossed that they will increase her scholarship. This is her first choice school.</p>

<p>I believe you are correct …Health Sciences does not offer as much as other majors … It seems to me they have to offer more in other programs to attract the students vs the majors that are highly competitive … We got 12000 and I was going to try as well but the most we can get is another $2k and we are waiting on three more programs that offer more merit … Let me know how it goes </p>

<p>My daughter went on a visit/tour recently and they told her that the minimum was $10,000 and maximum $20,000. Also we received an email inviting her to apply and it said all accepted freshmen would receive the $10,000 academic scholarship.</p>

<p>Not sure what formula they use for scholarship money. My oldest son last year was offerd $14,000 as a Bio major. My other son this year is offered $20,000 as a Physics major. His stats are a little better than his brother’s. 3.7 gpa unweighted, 2140 SAT 30 ACT.
Does anyone know if the Honors College offers anything additional?</p>

<p>I called the Honor’s college and was told there would be no additional money if enrolled in the Honor’s college. Other colleges list scholarship levels and in some cases minimum requirements. No where on the Duquesne site lists scholarship levels and amounts. I just wish that they would award students on their stats and not on their program. This being said, it is still my daughter’s 1st choice.</p>

<p>My daughter just got accepted to Duquesne. She got $20,000. I actually think they are being more generous this year compared to what I’ve heard from others in previous years, especially the $10,000 for every accepted freshman and $20,000 maximum. </p>

<p>mommdc congratulations on such a great merit amount. Could you tell me what your daughter’s stats are and if she also received the Laval scholarship or was her amount just for Academic scholarship? Can you also tell me what her major will be? </p>

<p>Thank you @mommy43. Her stats were 4.0 UW GPA, 2270 SAT. She got a $20,000 academic scholarship for the school of pharmacy. The scholarship is good for 5 years.</p>

<p>Those are great Stats… Congrats … Any Health Science Majors get 20k scholarships ?</p>

<p>HI! I am still waiting to hear back from this school, but I know my friend got 12,000 and she has a 3.4 GPA and a 1680 SAT score. So I think that is a pretty good amount of money considering her stats. but it also makes me question how they give out this merit because that isn’t much less than some you your children who have absolutely amazing stats. I didn’t know that each accepted freshman got 10,000 that is very helpful to know actually, thank you! my stats are a little bit better than my friends so i’m really hoping they give me more because my mom wont let me go if i don’t and its my #1! keeping my fingers crossed!!!</p>

<p>Good luck mmonkey . I hope you can attend your #1 school. We love everything about Duquesne, with the exception of our merit scholarship. As a parent, I really am impressed with the professors and administration personal. My daughter will be attending Duquesne, please let us know what major you are interested and if you are accepted.</p>

<p>My D was accepted into the Nursing program very quickly and received $13000/yr. Her UW GPA was 3.4, 4.0 weighted. However she had a health issue sophomore year that pulled her GPA down, her stats are much higher if they gave her a break on that. She is waiting to hear from UDEL before she decides. Also accepted at York and Bloomsburg in to Nursing. Duquense is at the top of her list right now.</p>

<p>Beaner89…</p>

<p>Are you the beaner from Duquesne ?? Haha went to college with you and in your fraternity </p>

<p>Nope, never went to Duquesne. Wrong beaner, guess there’s another lol</p>

<p>My daughter got $15,000. She is eligible for another $5000 depending on her music school audition. $20K is nice, and we’ll also qualify for need based aid, so we’ll see where that puts us before any decisions are made. </p>

<p>My son received $15,000. We are going to ask for some additional consideration as I know we will not get financial aid. Even $5000 more will make it more affordable. His stats were 31 ACT and 3.7 GPA. </p>

<p>@ researchQ let us know … I am an alumni and Daughter has similar stats and accepted into PA program … It’s the least amount that was offered every other catholic University … Seton Hall and Univ of Scranton offered in the $20k’s with similar tuition … DU was by far the stingiest of the lot </p>