Math 151/152, Chem 101/102, Biol 111/112

<p>How do the classes in the title compare to your average AP Calc BC, AP Chem, and AP bio class at a good high school? I heard math 151/152 was a weed out course, how does it compare to 147/148?</p>

<p>Though I can’t really comment on the math question, I can tell you that ANY high school class won’t compare to a college class. We’re talking about a class with 200+ students vs a high school class of 20 to 30 students. A high school teacher has more one on one with the students and college professors rarely care. Those classes will definitely be more challenging in the college environment but it’s nothing a little extra studying can’t fix.</p>

<p>I don’t like to compare high school courses to college courses because there really is no comparison. In college, you are dealing with more variables of which some are out of your control. That changes the dynamic too much for a comparison.</p>

<p>bump10char</p>

<p>If you are looking for an answer then I will do my best to convey my experience, but let it be noted that there were plenty of people with my credentials that still struggled.</p>

<p>Math: Calc 1 is on par with AP maybe slightly more difficult, Calc 2 at university will be more difficult that Calc BC if taught thoroughly. </p>

<p>Chemistry: If you can get a 5 on AP Chem, you can easily handle the lecture portion of Chem 101/102. The lab sections are difficult for some people which is highly dependent upon the TA.</p>

<p>Biology: no experience.</p>

<p>I took AP calc, and although it was technically called AB, I realized I knew about half the information given in Cal 2 here. I guess I’d say I took “AB and a half” lol…My high school calc AP class did not prepare me for college in difficulty-level, but if you feel you had a strong teacher, you probably will be more prepared and not have as much of an issue. With that said, it’s not expected for college to be on line with AP high school classes. I guess they were made with that intention, but it doesn’t end up that way. </p>

<p>If you place out of MATH 151/152 and you are NOT a STEM-type major, I’d take the credit and be done with it for sure. It’s up to you if you are a STEM major if you want to chance it with your GPA. I did, and I made it out fine. It took a lot of work, but nothing crazy by any means because I had a great prof. </p>

<p>147/148 is easier from what I’ve heard, but probably not by a whole lot. Math is intense at A&M. If you are allowed to take 147/148 vs. 151/152, I’d take 147/148 because it doesn’t have the matlab component. There is more wide-spread tutoring available for 151/152, but you can always go to your prof’s office hours. 147/148 also tends to have smaller classes too, I believe. </p>

<p>I made a 4 on AP bio and took my 8 hours of credit. I’m a math major, so I took it in a heartbeat and didn’t look back. Bio is pretty tough here, from what I’ve heard and seen from my friends, so I don’t regret that decision. My Bio AP class wasn’t intense at all up until the last month spent purely studying to the test. It all depends on how you plan on using the credit. I took it because I’m not going any further with biology classes. If I was, I might have thought twice about it.</p>

<p>I know nothing of chemistry. Never was a fan. </p>

<p>I agree with the other posters though. College is a whole other level of taking responsibility, especially pertaining to academics. You put forth the effort required, (and your profs will probably give you advice on how to succeed in class - it’s up to you to take it seriously or ignore it) and you’ll probably succeed. Because I applied myself, I was able to learn a whole lot in my first year. Way more than I could have learned in a high school setting. College is tough, and you get out of it what you put in. </p>

<p>Hope this helps! Good luck with your decisions. :)</p>

<p>tl;dr </p>

<p>MATH 147/148 easier than 151/152
Take the credits for classes whose material you won’t be continuing to study
College much harder than high school, must apply yourself</p>