Math 2224

<p>I noticed that Tech offers 2224 and the honors version 2224H. What is the difference between the 2 multivariable classes? Does it benefit when applying for grad school or something if the honors version is taken?</p>

<p>Speaking of which, found out that linear algebra also has Honors class and most of other math classes. Do most of classes have honors version? Are they extermely harder than normal? It is beneficial? </p>

<p>Honors moves faster so you’ll be able to cover concepts that non-honors won’t cover, and you’re problems may be more difficult. </p>

<p>@CloudyCloud‌ Did you take honors? would you recommend it only for geniuses? I mean can relatively smart peolple get an A?</p>

<p>I’m in honors and I took that class and it wasn’t difficult. Honors isn’t reserved for the super intelligent - just the more studious. </p>

<p>@CloudyCloud‌ Do you know if the CS 2000 courses are restricted? @gigagirl‌ said that I can’t those CS courses because I am just a freshmen admitted to engineering. Is this true? then I don’t see the point of being admitted to engineering as opposed to undecided? What would I take if I can’t take those courses. Makes absolutely no sense. Please help me!</p>

<p>The reason you’re admitted into General Engineering as opposed to a specific engineering major is because the school would like to test you to see if you’re ready for engineering work. I think it’s kind of annoying too, but I know quite a few kids who drop engineering immediately after those classes so I guess the classes are doing their job. </p>

<p>As for your upper level CS courses, if you have access to HokieSpa, you should be able to see the course restrictions for each class. If the class says “CS majors only”, then you can’t take that class until you’re a CS major. I just checked and you can’t take problem solving until you’re declared a CS major. You can take 2114 without being declared. </p>

<p>@CloudyCloud Alright that is not a problem then. But, what CS course would I take second semester.</p>

<p>So many questions - - and most will be answered by your Honors advisor. If I recall correctly you’ll be introduced to a regular academic advisor during summer orientation and request classes. You won’t get everything you want and there will be “issues”. Next you go to your honors advisor and they will fix all of the issues you had initially.</p>

<p>CS majors (honors and those with lots of AP credit) often have a bit of a problem dealing with the regular academic advisors because they don’t plan on your course load being advanced. The honors advisors know that you are going to have lots of AP credit.</p>

<p>You will be able to take CS2xxx level courses as a freshman. Typically, you can start with Problem Solving in CS and Introduction to Data Structures. In the Spring you can take whichever of those two you haven’t already taken in the Fall and also Computer Organization I. You can also take the Sophomore seminar in the Spring if you want. </p>

<p>Speak to Terry Arthur in the CS department. She’s my advisor and even though you may not be assigned to her, you can still go to her anyways. </p>

<p>She’s the best and she’s pretty knowledgeable. She’ll be able to help you out. </p>

<p>@ChrisTKD‌ You said I am allowed to take any 2000-level courses. But, apparently the intro to problem solving is major-retricted. So, I don’t know if that will work out. So, do you know when I will get to talk with my honors advisor? if not during orientation, I won’t plan on to waste my time going there. </p>

<p>This is a general question to all you CS majors: how many CS majors are there at VT (say class of 2017)?</p>

<p>You will talk to your honors advisor during the summer orientation. You should attend because that’s your opportunity to sign up for classes. Yes there are major restrictions but those restrictions can be lifted. Your honors advisor will explain (or Terry Arthur). Sons #1 and 2 both took CS2xxx classes as freshmen - they finished their CS sophomore checklist of courses during their first year. The number of CS majors will be noted during your summer orientation. CS is a popular major but many will drop out after their CS2xxxx classes because they realize they really aren’t interested or don’t have the knack to succeed.</p>

<p>The graduating class of 2013 had 128 CS/CSA undergraduate degress conferred.</p>

<p>@ChrisTKD oh thanks for the clarification! wow… so your sons are going to graduate early or something? Also, were they able to get CS internships after their freshmen year? Oh yeah, do you have an idea about the Microsoft Explore internship. I find that internship to be really, really cool. Just curious if your sons tried out for those sort of internships. I will definitely find out more during fall career fair. Thanks!</p>

<p>Yes to early graduation. Non-honors son #1 will graduate in 3 years. Honors son #2 will either graduate in 3 or stay the full 4 and get Masters in CS + minor in Math. Yes to internships. I might have commented on the Microsoft Explore internship in another thread. They didn’t do it but my understanding is that internship is mainly to get those who don’t have a developed interest more excited about CS/technology opportunities. Good luck to you.</p>