Math head update

Oh, yes - that makes sense. If he is right about his score (he just went over the solutions and guesstimated) it’s ok for acceptance, especially if the distribution resembles the 2014 results (which the initial average of all MAT test takers that already has been published is closest to).

Hey @BeekMom!

Thank you so much - both for this post and for the lots of invaluable advice from a few months ago. I am still reeling from it all. (Getting to this point was actually kind of crazy - we had to drive 6 hours and stay a night in a hotel for him to take the MAT, etc.) One thing that hasn’t changed for me - I see a lot of advantages for him to study in the UK - but if he stays closer to home I won’t cry, either… :kissing_heart:.

Well, his interviews are next week - we’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

They now send out MAT scores to applicants automatically in January. That didn’t happen six years ago when my son applied. To this day, he has no idea what his MAT score was. Due to COVID he missed the traditional college Maths dinner prior to end of fourth year where the tutors would disclose all the bad bits from their initial applications as sort of a roast.

I’m trying to be better and keep this thread alive, as many have expressed wanting to know how it all ends. So I’ll just post random updates until we actually know, hope that’s ok…

Today the kiddo had the first interview out of three, and it apparently went really well. He liked the interviewers, couldn’t answer everything right away but got there with a little help and felt good about it. At the end they gave him time to ask questions and he wanted to know if this would have been similar to a tutoring session - they confirmed it was and now he is even more interested in going. More interviews coming up.

6 Likes

Glad he felt it went well. Did he speak with the Worcester tutors yesterday? Is his next interview again with Worcester?

I appreciate the updates; it’s also informative to see someone going through the whole UK-application process, rather than just finding out the results at the end. I think it was in this thread where someone said the Oxford professors like to hear how the kid thinks and that the student is coachable. It seems as though your son was certainly able to demonstrate that in the interview, based on what you’ve shared. Continuing to keep my fingers crossed!

All interviews done - now we wait.

First and last interview went really well, he feels, second interview not so much. Not terrible but definitely not great - more a ‘muddling through’ kind of thing.

@HazeGrey

Yes, the first and third interviews were both with Worcester. He loved the tutors, especially in the second interview with Worcester (his third over all). I think if ‘coachable’ is the criteria, it sounds as if he did well - he got a few hints here and there and was able to see his mistakes, which weren’t huge to begin with (he says). He really liked how friendly and ‘non-judgmental’ especially the Worcester tutor in the last interview was - it really helped him to get over his nervousness and just enjoy finally talking to someone who knew what he was saying… (the mock interviews with me were a bit taxing, I’d say, as he ended up not only giving answers but having to explain the questions to me, too).

The other college he interviewed with was Trinity. It seems that he just didn’t click as well on that one, didn’t understand the tutor so well and got a bit frazzled off the bat.

Overall, he thought the questions were interesting, although he had no idea how to approach a few of them he managed to get a handle on most of them.

I guess it doesn’t only depend on how well he did, but how well all the other applicants did in comparison, too. As there is no way to know that we will just have to wait and see.

4 Likes

Well, I have to say - I might be wearing rose colored glasses, but to me the Oxford application process makes a lot more sense than the US ones. It is very drawn out and somewhat stressful, but it is easier to understand - they are trying to ensure that the applicants all fit to their courses academically.

The ‘wholistic’ US approach sounds good in theory - but I’m seeing kids wilting left and right around me, as they don’t really know what is being asked of them. They are offering up so much of themselves, so when they don’t get chosen, they take it very personally - it feels as if they themselves with all they are are being rejected.

3 Likes

The comparisons of UK and US admissions come up frequently. In the UK and at Oxbridge specifically, a tutor (director of studies) is picking a handful of kids that they’ll be teaching and have primary academic responsibility for over the next three years.

There’s no way to map that to the US, even if you could overcome the reluctance of US academics to take time away from teaching and research, and the desire of admissions staff to defend their gatekeeper role.

Most US students have freedom to change majors and prestigious colleges don’t see their role as nurturing the next generation of academics (which is the fondest hope of most Oxbridge tutors) but educating future “leaders” who will bring prestige and (hopefully) more donations to their alma mater (and in many cases redressing historic societal inequities through their admissions policies).

I do agree that US students are therefore more likely to feel that a rejection is a judgment on them as a person not just a judgment on how good they are at a specific academic subject.

1 Like

One of my son’s housemates from 3rd/4th year stayed at Worcester for his Math Phd. Really enjoying it. The funny thing is that he was told that he had to do undergrad interviews for Trinity for some odd reason. Not sure why they had to import someone from Worcester to do that for them. Who knows - maybe your son spoke to my son’s friend for his Trinity interview!

January 10th will be here soon enough. Please let us know the final result!

1 Like

That would be a crazy coincidence @HazeGrey ! I just checked with the kid: one of the Trinity interviewers was a woman and one was someone that is listed as a Trinity tutor, so it probably wasn’t your son’s friend - but I love these tender tendrils extending from the virtual world into real life! If kiddo does actually get into Worcester - it will be because of you writing about it on college confidential…

4 Likes

Yes, that is well put. Doesn’t that mean UK tutors want to carry forward their knowledge and further their subject - while US school’s focus is on their school’s public image? Which may or may not actually have much to do with academic excellence? To me, that isn’t the most effective use of schooling, it is too narrow a scope.
But that’s just me - and I am well aware that I only bring a parent’s perspective to the table.

1 Like

Merry everything and happy always to all of you!!! I hope you had a wonderful time celebrating (if you celebrate) and may 2023 be a wonderful, happy year filled with laughter and light!

:candle:

2 Likes

In the UK, I think universities’ public image is synonymous with their academic excellence. Just as an example, at my college reunions, fundraising events, etc. the first thing mentioned is the number of Nobel prizes won this year (there’s a long running college joke about “more Nobel prizes than France” which tends to work best when it’s told by a Nobel prize winner…). A distant second is political accomplishments (MPs, cabinet ministers etc) and business success is never mentioned (except to acknowledge donors).

Not what I’d expect from an American college reunion.

2 Likes

My guess is that Nobel prizes are what you’re going to hear at a Caltech reunion. I don’t think they have produced any notable politicians, yet.

My point was that success in business is looked down upon by many UK academics (see any UK historical drama, eg Downton Abbey for similar perspectives). Ivory tower and all that…

Back to topic please

1 Like

:crossed_fingers: for tomorrow!

1 Like

Ok, back to topic, yes sir!

He got admitted! But to Trinity college - which is funny, as that was his worst interview by far.

I’m slightly in shock. England?!? 5,392 miles away! Gosh.

6 Likes

Congratulations