Math major w/premed

<p>I am thinking of majoring in either Bio or Math. If I do bio, im scared ill not want to go to med school, or not get in, and then be stuck with a pointless major. I do like math better, but it wpukd be hard since I will start in Math375-376 as a freshman, and i would take 500 level classes as a sophomore. I also would need to take all premed classes, an it is a lot aince i need 3 semsters of o-chem with all the oter necessary classes. Bio would be a lot easier since all the pre med cojrses woukd be included in the major. Would majorin in math be too difficult? I also would need some computer science courses.</p>

<p>It would be a lot of work, but it wouldn’t be too much more work and it might be easier if you’re good at math. Having something to fall back on is also very good thinking. I’m a pre med bio major and I have nothing to fall back on so I kinda wish I was thinking like you. Also, you only need 2 semesters of ochem, not 3. Being a bio major would require you to take biochem, molecular and cellular bio, genetics, etc. If bio isn’t your strength, these courses could hurt your GPA and your med school chances. Talk to your counselor for ideas.</p>

<p>I am good at Bio. And it is two semesters of ochem plus a lab. I mistaked one for a lab. What do Science Labs entail? Do they count as credits or are they combined with the course? I am good at math, but I have only taken up to Calc BC. I was thinking of self studying Linear Algebra this year, but if I don major in math, that would be pointless. Are you at Madison? How much time per day for the premed classes was used for studying/hw,etc?</p>

<p>The labs are not anything like high school. Yes, they generally are 1 credit. This may vary for different schools, but most universities utilize labs as their own course and they can be pretty difficult. I have more trouble with labs than the lecture. Your grade often depends on the results you get, and experiments don’t always go as planned. Then there are lab reports, exams, etc. You actually have to put in hours when you’re not in lab. Labs also for me were almost always 3-4 hours. As far as studying, I tried to get 4 hours a day. When I have more than one test the next day, I likely pull an all-nighter. I would take those numbers with a grain of salt though because everyone is different. No, I’m not at Madison. I’m going to be a junior at UF, but most of my info will probably apply to any college.</p>

<p>If you’re starting in 375/376, a math major won’t be a huge number of extra classes, honestly. There are two options for math majors, one is pure math, one is applied math. You could do a applied math major with chemistry applications and there will be overlap between the premed and the math major. There are biology and other options too, see them here: <a href=“https://www.math.wisc.edu/files/Math_Guidebook_2011.pdf[/url]”>https://www.math.wisc.edu/files/Math_Guidebook_2011.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It actually looks like you would need minimum 4 math classes after 375/376, two in the 300/400 level and two above 500 level. Plus the premed courses, I don’t know if they include pchem though (Chem 561 and 562).</p>

<p>Though this probably won’t change your freshman schedule anyways, so you have time to decide.</p>

<p>That was actually a lot of help! Thank you! I think that would work out. What sciences should I start taking right away? I was thinking of Chem 109. I haven’t heard about if I got accepted in the Chem 115-116 honors sequence. Idk if I should do it though If I do the math sequence.</p>

<p>Math is an easy major for a premed student- presuming one has the aptitude, which you obviously do. Eons ago (before AP credits) we had a math major in our 115-116 Chemistry who was able to graduate in 3 years and then go to medical school. We chemistry majors figured out the huge difference in required lab time for us all years. I chose medical school- after 4 years of college. </p>

<p>No major is “pointless”, do not pick your major with medical school on your radar. Go with what you love best. Definitely discuss things with your advisor; go for the courses you can learn the most in, never the possibility of a higher grade.</p>

<p>Double majoring in Biology and mathematics would honestly be the best. Anyone know how hard that would be at UW Madison? I think the problem is that I would be starting in Math 375-376 my first year which covers Multi Var Calc, linear algebra, and DifEQ. My sophomore year would be open to 500 level classes such as analysis and modern algebra. I’m guessing those classes would be impossible to pair up with 2-3 other math/science classes.</p>

<p>Impossible? No. Hard, yes. But by no means impossible. </p>

<p>For a double major in math and bio, I’d recommend math 375, chem 115 or 109, and biology, not sure which class. If room maybe a liberal studies, but there might not be room. There were a few people in 375/376 and 115/116 at the same time, though I don’t know how they felt about it.
I think bio, chemistry, and physics are required for premeds, chemistry is usually taken freshman year, physics freshman year is not as common.</p>

<p>A great biology sequence is Biocore- requires Organic Chemistry. Also Honors course. Consider delaying biology courses until you can take this.</p>

<p>Yeah I will probably do BioCore. I got into the chem 115/116 sequence, but idk if I should do it since it would be an extra semester of Chem.</p>

<p>Anyone took both Math 375/376 and Chem 115/116 freshman year? How was it? And for anyone who took either sequence, what was the class like, time commitment per day studying/doing hw, and difficulty?</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>I’ve never had luck getting answers to questions about courses on CC. I believe that most readers/posters are alums (some from decades ago), parents, or applicants. I’m not slamming anyone, just pointing out that I haven’t found CC Wisc threads to be any help on specific course or sequence info.</p>

<p>You’re correct, bil… Don’t worry about it Future… You can handle it. Regular courses can be just as much work and the potential for the same grades. Taking the most challenging courses will likely be more satisfying, look better on your resume and prepare you for the work of medical school.</p>

<p>Allright thanks guys</p>