Math placement exam before NSC for engineering

<p>Hi, I'm an incoming freshmen for fall 2012, going into petroleum engineering. Recently I just realized I have to take this math placement exam thing. I think this test is online, so does that mean I can just take it at home? Or do I have to report to TAMU campus to take this? I saw some post saying taking the test during NSC, so I'm confused now...</p>

<p>and how hard is this thing really is? I checked out the practice, and i think it's all algebra 2 to early calc stuff..It actually does not look that easy, mainly because I forgot lots of the stuff from algebra 2 and precal. Especially the simplifying and factoring stuff...I think it would be easier if the whole thing is just calc...is the real test easier than the practice or is it harder? I just want to have a general idea before I take it. And how many questions must I get correct to pass out of the 25Qs? </p>

<p>and does it impact my major if i do not perform well on it?</p>

<p>Just take the practice test and look over your algebra 2. According to my D, it is not very difficult. I don’t believe it impacts your major. All they will do is recommend what math you should be going into based on this test. You don’t have to follow their recommendation.</p>

<p>It’s not a test that you necessarily “pass.” It’s just something that tells you what kind of math course you should register for but as wemel said, it’s just a recommendation. On NSC when you sit down with your advisor, they’ll recommend what math course to tale based on that test. I actually think that they shouldn’t do it at all because you should already know what kind of math you should be going for. Even if you don’t remember Algebra II, it’s just a matter of doing a little reviewing.</p>

<p>And, yes, you can just take it at home, online. If you don’t take it at home, online, they’ll make you take it at NSC before you can register for your classes.</p>

<p>She could not register for an NSC until she took the test.</p>

<p>I registered for it and I haven’t taken the test yet.</p>

<p>You can register for NSC without taking the test - we did. You do need to take it before your NSC date or they will not let you register for classes (which is what you do at NSC)</p>

<p>^Right. You can definitely register for NSC before you take the test. So get the NSC date you want first. Then take the test sometime between now and then. If for some reason you don’t take the test before you arrive at NSC, it won’t be the end of the world … but it will delay your ability to register for classes. In that case, you would have to finish the test at NSC before they would let you register for classes.</p>

<p>Point is: take the test at home, online, before NSC! :)</p>

<p>I seem to remember my D saying you have to take the online math placement test at least 1 month prior to your NSC… You might want to go check the site and read the “fine print” on that though…</p>

<p>^I was remembering something of that nature, too. Wasn’t it something about allowing time for the test scores to ‘go through the system’ and (something like) clear any holds so that you could register for the appropriate class (particularly for those who wanted to take a higher level math than the entry-level class)?</p>

<p>However, I know from the experiences of two family friends who neglected to take their tests prior to NSC – you can take it at NSC if you screw up. (Or at least they could.) I don’t think that possibility is advertised anywhere because, naturally, A&M wants you to follow the rules and get all your ducks in a row prior to the busy NSC event. </p>

<p>(btw, at least one of the friends had to take the test while all of her peers were registering for classes – so she also got last dibs on classes as a consequence of putting it off; not sure if the other friend had to go through the same thing, or not)</p>

<p>ok, thanks everyone. I guess I’ll be taking it sometime this month. As long as I can take it at home, it shouldn’t be a big problem</p>

<p>Anyone know what score is ‘passing’? You get a score out of 25 at the end. You don’t have to get 25/25 do you? Can’t find the answer anywhere.</p>

<p>Just finally found the info. via a google search - apparently the policy has changed and your math path is determined by your score. 22/25 is passing. There is a flow chart from the math dept. with different paths for scores. [New</a> Math Requirements](<a href=“http://lowery.tamu.edu/math/]New”>http://lowery.tamu.edu/math/)</p>

<p>^I see that the link is for the Mathematics Dept flow chart. Those different paths are just recommendations for engineering students. Or at least they were last summer. Students didn’t have to stick to them. The engineering advisors will addresss that issue in your major-specific NSC class. At least they did for my son’s group. They handed out that chart and then addressed all the different math options. The chart still said you had to take … a, b, c. But the student was free to take the chance and skip ahead.</p>

<p>(That may have changed. I’m explaining what happened last summer.)</p>

<p>Another document I found also stated that they were considering the same flow chart for Math 141 ( Business & Liberal Arts students). I guess it will most likely be optional as well (?). My S just wanted to know what score is considered good enough so he doesn’t have to retake it. When you score 22+ there is no indication that you’ve met the necessary threshold - it just gives you links to the questions you missed.</p>

<p>^Oh, yeah. I think I understood your point. I agree with you. It’s really not clear. :)</p>

<p>I am also going into Engineering. I just took the math placement test (I believe it is out of 33 actually), and did not score very well. I am in AP Calculus and am doing just fine. They give you some really icky factoring and that’s really what killed me. I was fine on all of the actual calculus based stuff.</p>

<p>Is it wrong for me to just ignore this test and go ahead and sign up for Calc I at TAMU? The calc that I’m taking right now is the Calc I course. I’m not going back to pre-calculus like the test told me to…</p>

<p>By the way I think I got a 20 or a 21…</p>

<p>The way I see it is that most of the test is review. I don’t remember a lot of the stuff but it doesn’t mean I don’t know how to do it. It’s just a matter of doing some review.I think you could go ahead and do the Calc course. You can just review some pre-cal on your own to refresh your memory.</p>

<p>3 years ago they had a nomogram that took into account your placement test score and I believe your SAT math score and maybe another HS standardized test or grades. They line up your scores and the nomogram points to the appropriate math class used as a recommendation. This is all stuff you can’t control. Don’t worry about it. You have to prep for the test. Review all the pre-calc rules. If you are rusty, it does not mean you are not ready for Math 151; it just means you’re rusty, and you have to do a little work to scrape the rust off.</p>

<p>I know I said previously that the flowchart results were just recommendations, but I had the high-end scorers in mind when I said that. So sorry!</p>

<p>I think there are firm restrictions on those who score towards the low end of the chart.</p>

<p>At least for some departments, if you score on the low end, the staff will not (idk, for lack of a better phrase) ‘unlock your hold,’ which will effectively prohibit you from enrolling in Math 151. To register for Math 151, you must have credit for, or be registered in Math 150 – or you must score a 22 or higher on the MPE. It’s something that apparently must be ‘unlocked’ in order for you to register for 151 or higher.</p>

<p>I do remember that their logic for all of this Math Placement Exam/flowchart business is that they discovered that poor performance in Math 151 is the greatest predictor of poor performance in the engineering program. If they can get you the groundwork for Math 151, you’ll be successful in 151, and you’ll be much more likely to succeed in the program as a whole. So, that’s their logic. And I don’t think they’ll bend on this. </p>

<p>To summarize: I think those who score on the low end are locked in by the flowchart results, but those who score on the high end can choose 151, 152, or even 251 for the brave of heart! :)</p>

<p>Oh! And you must take the MPE at least 24 hours prior to your NSC. Not a whole month. (though, as I said earlier, you won’t be thrown to the wolves if you forget) I just found a helpful webpage on this whole topic!</p>

<p>[ESSAP</a> - Math Placement Exam Explanation](<a href=“http://essap.tamu.edu/math-placement.htm]ESSAP”>http://essap.tamu.edu/math-placement.htm)</p>