Math Placement Test Score

<p>So I’m currently trying to arrange a schedule of classes to take for next year in preparation for Bama Bound! However, I’m not sure what math I have to take because I was exempted from the math placement exam and therefore didn’t get a score. I’m currently taking AP Calc AB, but regardless I want to take Calc again in college because I really don’t understand it this year. I’m just curious as to whether I will have to take MATH 112 first or can go straight to Math 212. Does anyone know where I can see my “score” or know which class I will be placed in?</p>

<p>You can go straight to Cal I…either regular or honors (if you’re in honors).</p>

<p>How can i find out if i’m exempt from the placement exam?</p>

<p>From the website:</p>

<p>In order to be exempt from the Math Assessment requirement, you must meet one of the following requirements:</p>

<p>You scored a 29 or higher on the ACT math test OR a 640 or higher on the SAT math test AND you have successfully completed a high school calculus course (grade of C- or higher)</p>

<p>You have math transfer credit that has already been approved</p>

<p>I meet those requirements, and Degreeworks says my math placement is “Math 121 or 125”… I’m taking AP Calc AB and BC this year, so if I pass that exam, what math will I go into?</p>

<p>If you pass the AP exam for Calculus BC, you will be eligible to take MATH 227 (Calculus III), but have the option to retake a lower level course. Those who only pass the AP exam for Calculus AB will be eligible to take MATH 126 (Calculus II).</p>

<p>Does UA have an official recommendation for a student who passes Calc BC with a 4 (guessing, could be a 5)? Or does any student that was in this situation have a recommendation?</p>

<p>Hi! My D took Calc AB and Calc BC tests. Got 5’s. To help her make the decision on where to start in calculus at Bama, she looked at the calculus 1,2, and 3 syllabi and a copy of the book. She chose to take Calc 2 at Bama in the fall. Got an A. She was a little concerned as she took her AP classes online. I asked if she could have skipped calc 2 ; she said “yes, but she was glad she didn’t”. A little of calc 2 was not covered in her BC class. </p>

<p>Now she’s an EE major and has to go quite far in the math curriculum. If you don’t need the math and want to take the calc 1 and 2 credit, you can. </p>

<p>It is a personal choice. The students that have reported on the Bama CC site last year did all 3 options with varying results. I remember kids being glad they took calc 1; bored with calc 1; glad they skipped calc 1 and went to calc2; glad they skipped calc 1 and 2. So it really depends on how strong student you were in class. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>I’m not sure who posted this or when but in an older thread it was stated that Cal 3 is much different than Cal 2 and depending on your student (major plan and confidence in math) to go ahead and go into Cal 3 with a BC score of a 4 or 5 knowing that some of the “guidance” given at BamaBounds will be to re-take Cal 2. </p>

<p>I hope some of the previous posters will jump in here to clarify or you can find it by doing a “math” search here on the Alabama CC</p>

<p>My kids have repeatedly said that Cal II does NOT build on Cal I. Cal II involves different concepts.</p>

<p>Here’s a slightly different math question. Under Math Placement in my D’s Degreeworks it says Math 121 or Math 125. However, that makes no sense as she has transfer credit for Math 125 (and Degreeworks is also showing that). I’m assuming she’ll be able to take Cal 2 without a problem in spite of what Degreeworks says about Math Placement, right?</p>

<p>We have not sent Bama any of my daughters AP test results from last year. Should I do this now or wait until we get this years results?</p>

<p>Last years’ AP test results will be sent with this year’s scores, so there is no reason to send them separately. </p>

<p>If one has credit for MATH 125, they can register for MATH 126/146. One cannot be placed higher than Math 121/125, but having approved transfer credit for a course overrides any [lower] math placement.</p>

<p>If Degree Works places a student in a math class do they still have to take the assessment?</p>

<p>Okay, so I’m going to the F2 orientation session, which is way before AP scores come out. So if I’m already registered for classes, but I pass the AP Cal exam, can I change my schedule to take a different math course than Math 121 or 125?</p>

<p>If you are reasonably confident that you’ll do well on your AP test (and you’ll kind of know by that time), you can assume that you passed. You are allowed to go ahead and sign up for Cal II or whatever the next level you want to take. </p>

<p>Later, if you find out that you didn’t pass, THEN you can drop down.</p>

<p>Plan on registering for MATH 126, Calculus II. If you don’t pass the AP test or would like to retake Calculus I before taking other math courses, take MATH 125 rather than Math 121 as Math 121 is designed for students who are not going on to other math courses.</p>

<p>My daughter is taking AP Calc and will be receiving dual credit through a community college. Can she transfer the credit to UA then go right into Statistics?</p>

<p>I heard that MATH 121 is a good option for a business major. Is this true? I’ve been placed in 121 or 125 but I plan on passing AP Calc AB and BC this year.</p>

<p>Tommy, MATH 121 is designed for students not going further on in math, whereas MATH 125 is Calculus I and is for students taking further math courses. Note that statistics is taught by business school faculty at UA and is thus not what I mean by further math course. Think of MATH 121 as business calculus which, oddly enough, UA does not accept as transfer credit. You have taken the equivalent of MATH 125 and do not need to go back and take MATH 121.</p>

<p>illinoisbamamom, your daughter can go into statistics, officially ST 260, provided she also tests out of CS 102 or gets it waived. Calculus is not a prerequisite for ST 260. As for the CS 102 requirement, UA offers a free test, no college credit awarded, to satisfy that prerequisite.</p>