Math Placement Test Score

<p>I have a quick question - my son got an email saying that the math recommendation based on his SAT sub-score was posted on the DegreeWorks portal. It says that if you are not satisfied with the recommendation you can take the Math Assessment test. It has Math 115 listed as the recommendation - my question is what is Math 115? Is is just a basic math class? Does this mean he doesn’t have to take the online assessment? Should he take the online assessment? He got a 650 on the Math SAT section so is that what they base it on?</p>

<p>The items below should help :slight_smile: </p>

<p>First one is from the Math Placement Testing page and the second part is a brief course description</p>

<p>[About</a> The Online Math Skills Assessment](<a href=“Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama”>Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Undergraduate Math Courses<br>
Finding the appropriate level mathematics course for entering students is very important. Our goal is to help students identify where they should begin their math sequence of courses in order to have the best opportunity for success.</p>

<p>UA Course Placement, PROBLEM SETS and Course Information
Course Name</p>

<p>MA 005 Remedial Mathematics<br>
MA 100 Intermediate Algebra<br>
MA 110 Finite Mathematics (not a prerequisite for MA 113)
MA 112 Precalculus Algebra<br>
MA 113 Precalculus Trigonometry<br>
MA 115 Precalculus Algebra/Trigonometry<br>
MA 121 Calculus & Its Applications<br>
MA 125 Calculus I</p>

<p>For those of you who have taken (or are taking) AP Cal AB or BC remember the highest placement is into MATH 125 as noted by SEA_Tide in an above post #13</p>

<p>A related math question - the course catalog lists Math 146 as an honor’s version of Math 126. There are no sections of Math 146 scheduled for Fall 2012. Is it possible a section will be added or is what’s out there now a final course offering?</p>

<p>Honors Cal II is offered in the Spring. I don’t know why Bama doesn’t offer it in the fall.</p>

<p>MATH 146 is only offered during the spring semester. As MATH 126 is traditionally taken during the spring, the Department of Mathematics schedules honors classes when the most students would be able to take them. If one can fit other honors courses in their schedule, there is less need to take honors sections of the calculus courses. Many of the top math students take the non-honors sections of calculus and still do very well in later math courses.</p>

<p>So if D took Calc BC as a Junior and scored a 5 on the test, then took Calc III and DiffEq this year, she has to start again with Calc I as a freshman at Bama?</p>

<p>Almost seems like a waste of time. She’s been anticipating starting with Calc III.</p>

<p>^^^ No – the 5 on Calc BC will give her credit for Math 125 and Math 126 (Calc I and II). If she wants to start with Calc III, she will be able to based on her AP scores. Once you’ve sent the AP scores to Alabama, the credits will show up in the math section of Degreeworks. The highest placement that will show up before AP scores are sent is Math 121/125 but that doesn’t mean that it is the highest math class that an incoming freshman can qualify for.</p>

<p>If I test out of CS 102, I understand that no credit it rewarded and that it just satisfies your prerequisite. But does that mean you just take an elective class or some other credit in its place?</p>

<p>*So if D took Calc BC as a Junior and scored a 5 on the test, then took Calc III and DiffEq this year, she has to start again with Calc I as a freshman at Bama?</p>

<p>Almost seems like a waste of time. She’s been anticipating starting with Calc III.
*</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>No. She doesn’t start with Cal I…she can go right to Cal III or the next (she’ll have Cal III credit as well, right???) </p>

<p>Her AP credits give her credit for Cal I and II.</p>

<p>If Bama hasn’t been sent her AP scores yet, then Bama has no idea that she has thoses credits.</p>

<p>If I test out of CS 102, I understand that no credit it rewarded and that it just satisfies your prerequisite. But does that mean you just take an elective class or some other credit in its place?</p>

<p>Test out thru AP or CLEP?</p>

<p>CS 102 is listed as a requirement simply to make sure that students have a certain amount of computer skills. The placement exam doesn’t grant credit because students will earn enough credit for a degree simply by taking other courses that interest them and earning the minimum 120 credits required for a bachelor’s degree. </p>

<p>2girlzmum, your D would likely start with MATH 355 (Probability), or MATH 237 (Linear Algebra) if she wanted to continue on in math.</p>

<p>It says that MATH 121 only has 15 spots left in an 8-9:15 AM class and that’s it unless you want to take it online. There are definitely going to be more than 15 people wanting to take that couse. Will they open more sections? And how should I plan for this when making my template if I don’t know what time slot it will fill?</p>

<p>How did everyone’s kids do on AP Calc today?</p>

<p>How do our kids sign up for a higher class than 125 when they will not have their AP scores yet?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>D actually enjoyed her BC test. Weird, huh? She thinks she did well. 2 down and 3 to go!</p>

<p>You register based on how you think you did on the test.</p>

<p>What exactly does testing out of CS 102 entail? I have never taken computer science, so would this even be an option for me?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Click on this link. If you’re familiar with windows, word, powerpoint etc etc you’ll do fine. If you don’t know how to use those things then you’ll need to take CS -102 as those attributes will be needed in other classes. </p>

<p>[Placement</a> Assessments - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html]Placement”>http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html)</p>

<p>It says that MATH 121 only has 15 spots left</p>

<p>That’s a frosh class…likely there will be more spots opened at BB, and maybe even more sections added.</p>