Math Placement Test

<p>Howdy! </p>

<p>I was wondering if it's common to see engineering students take MATH 150 at the start of freshmen year instead of starting at MATH 151?</p>

<p>No idea. My D hasn’t started taking her placement test yet. Have you? You know you can take it multiple times, right? have you had High School Algebra I&II, Trigonometry & Geometry?</p>

<p>I haven’t either. I’m going to start probably in Feburary. Yes, you can take it multiple times.
Yup! I’m in Calculus AB right now and next semester I’m going to take Calculus BC. :)</p>

<p>No, it’s not. If you’re taking Calculus right now in High School, there’s really no reason that you shouldn’t take Math 151 freshman year. Although, if you’re not good at Trig, then I’d recommend taking Math 150. Also, if you don’t score too well on the Math Placement exam, I wouldn’t let that discourage you from taking Math 151 unless you’re really uncomfortable with the material. All that simplifying and graph transformation stuff didn’t really show up at all this year.</p>

<p>Additionally, I’ll just let you guys know that the exams are probably going to be getting harder from now on. This is because there’s a new test writer. The exams this semester (Fall 2012) were significantly harder than last semester’s, and the years before that. You can look at them here:
[MATH</a> 151 Common Exam Archive, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University](<a href=“http://www.math.tamu.edu/courses/math151/common-exams/]MATH”>MATH 151 Common Exam Archive, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&amp;M University)</p>

<p>@izelkay,
I’m pretty good with Cal so far. I just REALLY need to brush up on trig for the placement test!</p>

<p>Thank you for the information! It really helps. :)</p>

<p>You’re welcome. You should be fine in Math 151 if you’re comfortable with Calc right now. Of course, brushing up on trig is definitely the smart thing to do. :)</p>

<p>THANKS! I will pass along the info and the link to my D. Much appreciated.</p>

<p>You’re welcome :). We just got Exam 3 grades back, so that should show up in the Archive sometime next week.</p>

<p>Hey just asking - when do incoming freshmen take the math placement test ?</p>

<p>On another note @peachers do you have the same twitter username !!!</p>

<p>I think you can take it now, and there are practice tests too that you can check out before the actual real deal if you want. The website says:</p>

<p>“You may take the test a maximum of three times with a 30-day wait period between each attempt” </p>

<p>You have to take it BEFORE your new student conference.</p>

<p>I’m about to get D ramped up on math preparation during Christmas break.</p>

<p>@xoxoviviannnn, yes!! I saw your name a while ago and I was thinking about the same thing to you!. :smiley: Hi! Haha. </p>

<p>@cromette, actually, I think I will do the same too! Study during Christmas break…totally fine cause I like math.</p>

<p>@cromette: So it’s done online right? I’m pretty confused actually hehe :></p>

<p>@peachers: HAHAHAHA THIS IS AN AWKWARD COINCIDENCE :D</p>

<p>@xoxoviviannnn, LOL. Yeah! This is funny. Hahah:P
But yeah you take it online. Just search up, “Texas A&M Math Placement” and you’ll find a link with info :)</p>

<p>Thanks peachers !!! :)</p>

<p>Do all incoming freshman take a math placement test?</p>

<p>golfermom… yes all students must take the math placement exam. If it is not done before new student conference, you have to take it the first day of the conference. That will take away from other events. I think the test became available last year online afer the first of the year.</p>

<p>Peachers, if you get the minimal score on the placement test I think most students start in the fall with 151. If I remember correctly from orientation if you do not get the minimal score (on any of the math placement tests you take) you can take a class over the summer to prepare you to take 151 in the fall and not fall behind schedule, but even if you don’t do that, in freshman orientation they stressed that you can work with your schedule to come out on time if you don’t qualify for math 151. One interesting thing they stressed last year was that no matter what class engineering students started with beit remedial, or with AP credit skipping 151 and possibly 152 the first math grade that students received was likely to be a good predicter of how they will do in the engineering program. I thought that was interesting.</p>