Math Placement Tests

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I'm going to attend UW-Madison this fall.
I got this letter from the University a while back and it said that I had to take some placement tests, one of which is in Math.
I was wondering, what do they determine by this test? I mean, if I get a high grade, do I get exempt from some core classes? And what happens if I don't do so well?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Mathematics placement test: The UW Math Placement Test measures knowledge in arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. You may use a non-graphing scientific calculator that is battery- or solar-powered.</p>

<p>If you have questions about the test, contact Testing and Evaluation Services. If you are a freshman, you may be able to receive advanced standing credit for calculus if you took one of the following math exams: Advanced Placement (CEEB), International Baccalaureate Higher Level, or Advanced Level (GCE, Hong Kong, and Singapore-Cambridge). Bring your official examination results to the SOAR Program and speak with the admission counselor regarding possible credit. You must take the math placement test even if you are eligible to receive advanced standing credit. Discuss with the math advisor the possibility of taking the UW–Madison Calculus Advanced Placement Exam during the first week of class. If your placement scores are high enough, you may be able to take this exam and establish advanced standing credit for one or two calculus courses.</p>

<p>Math is my weakest subject. I had only a 26 on the Math section of the ACT (granted 36 on Reading, hehe). I was able to test out of any math requirement, although not the quanitative classes which can be filled through non Calculus style classes. I think if you search around you can find practice problems, too.</p>