Matlab

<p>Is Matlab wisely used at UA? What majors and classes? Advice for students coming in with many math and computer science credits but never exposed to Matlab?</p>

<p>It’s used in some of the STEM classes. There is an assumption that students do not know Matlab before they come to Bama, so the students are taught it.</p>

<p>I would also recommend getting one of those Matlab for Dummies (or Idiots) from Amazon or your bookstore.</p>

<p>Do you know which courses it is taught in? I am concerned that he will miss the instruction because of the dual enrollment courses he has.</p>

<p>D was given a Matlab packet of info in one of the freshman ENGR classes. They didn’t use the packet yet. Don’t know why.</p>

<p>She will be learning Matlab this week in her REU however. So I guess that will come in handy for Bama soon.</p>

<p>Maybe you could ask the head of the FEP. Freshman Engr Program</p>

<p><a href=“Freshman Engineering Program – Students | The University of Alabama”>Freshman Engineering Program – Students | The University of Alabama;

<p>Vlines…I would write to Dr. David Cordes and voice your concern about learning MatLab. Frankly, I wish schools would just dedicate a req’d class for STEM majors and teach the subject. It could be a one credit class. </p>

<p>My older son was happy when his PhD program offered an all day class (before the semester began) that reviewed MatLab because it knew that students would have a varying degree of competancy. </p>

<p><a href=“mailto:cordes@cs.ua.edu”>cordes@cs.ua.edu</a> Director of FEP and also Dept Head of Computer Science.</p>

<p>That is a good idea M2CK- I will have my S ask. And yes, a one day or one credit class would be great. </p>

<p>I was going to see if the local CC had a class or seminar this summer if necessary.</p>

<p>Son worked with Matlab as part of his differential equations class last semester.</p>

<p>I think people should ask Dr. Cordes if some kind of Matlab instruction is included in the FEP. And, if not, why not.</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:cordes@ua.edu”>cordes@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>He’s the director of the Freshman Eng’g Program.</p>

<p>Hmm…I remember taking MATLAB in GES 132 (in fact, the whole course was about MATLAB) and then never using it again (I was a ChemE major). You can thus guess my opinion of the class. m2ck: your younger son is ChemE, correct? Has he used MATLAB in any of this courses?</p>

<p>Both of my kids have used Matlab. My older son didn’t take GES 132 since being in CBH was an alternative (he was an eng’g major before he changed to Math). My younger son (ChemE) has used Matlab, but I don’t know for which classes. His minors are in Math, Chem and Bio, so he may have used it in some of those classes. </p>

<p>I’ll ask S2 if he learned Matlab in 132. If so, then it probably is being taught in the new FEP.</p>

<p>(for those who are wondering, the GES classes have been eliminated. The Freshmen Engineering Program, which is more extensive, is the replacement.</p>