Mays AP credit and class advice

A related thread was just posted but seemed mainly directed towards Engineering majors. I will be a Mays major next year as a Freshman. However, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking credits that you will will have earned by end of high school. I will have quite a few credits available for me to take that are in the core general Business curriculum.

or just advice in picking classes in general.

For business majors, you have to apply to a major to get access to upper division classes. You have to have a certain GPA with certain courses completed to apply- this changed recently, it use to be several more classes (30 units) so now the timeline is sped up. Be sure to check the new list, and ask if you have the credits needed but no GPA how that would work (IDK), this is new territory. Make sure you have the ‘right’ classes, as until you gain access to upper division you can’t take any UD classes- plan it out. I think this has become easier with the new system, but you will have to commit to a major.

If you apply for Business Honors Program, (it is a major not just a honors program) you will have a list of courses to complete and some must be honors level (both CORE & business) so taking AP credit isn’t going to fulfill those anymore since they no longer give honors credit for high scores on AP tests. Again, if you gain entrance to this program - wait for advice - my youngest is in BHP, you will have lots of advice at NSC. The counselor for this program is outstanding!

It depends on your future major as to which courses they’d advise you to take credit for - take a look at the upper division requirements. You may not want to accept ‘overage’ credits that don’t apply to your major - you can end up with too many credits and lose eligibility for financial aid later & also other things that are year group based in your later years ( if TX resident, that includes the $1000 refund). Once you accept credit you can’t reverse it, you have to live with your decisions. Most general ed core classes were fine to accept - but now with the new ‘no honors credit’ that might change if you are planning on joining an honors group ( University Honors or BHP).

Business majors are also expected to get involved in organizations at A&M (there are 800 to choose from) and preferably on executive boards. Pick your classes so that you do have enough time to devote to an organization of your choice. The key is to have some involvement to showcase your abilities. Start early so you can be in a good position for leadership of your group.

My advice in picking classes, a minimum full time student status is 12 units. Sign up for 15-16 units so if you find you have gotten a VERY tough class/instructor or bomb the midterm, you can drop a class and still be a full time student. Good luck!