Mays BHP Chances?

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I am a senior who is about to send my application out to A&M. I am going for finance/BHP, and my backup major is economics. I go to a small private high school in Texas.</p>

<p>Class Rank: 10/91
UW GPA: 3.62
----I had a huge upward trend in GPA. Prior to Junior year it was a 3.48, now it's a 3.62. I went from rank 19/91 to 10/91 in 1 year. Will this help?
SAT: 2190; 700 CR, 730 M, 760 W w/ 11 essay</p>

<p>Extra Curricular's:
-Co-founder and treasurer of FBLA chapter at our school
-Tier 1 hockey for 2 years in hs, 10 years overall
-Varsity Golfer Junior and Senior yr
-African Library Project (Raised 4500 books and 800 dollars to build 2 libraries in Africa)
-Academic Meet (Placed 1st in Editorial writing, 2nd in headline writing, 3rd in ready writing. Each competition had around 40 kids)
-Started a financial literacy class at school
-Young republicans club-- club representative (9, 10, 11)
-NHS Fundraiser Committee (organized canned food drive for NHS)</p>

<p>Volunteer service:
-children's home: 48 hours
-Goodwill: 35 hrs</p>

<p>Work Experience:
-Walked dogs for 2 years
-Private tutored for 1 year</p>

<p>Honors and Distinctions:
-NHS (2,3,4)
-Mu Alpha Theta (3,4)
-Hockey team captain (9th grade)</p>

<p>What do you guys think?</p>

<p>BHP is very competitive, here’s the link <a href=“http://bizhonors.tamu.edu/application/incoming/”>BBA Business Honors | Mays Business School’s vision is to advance the world’s prosperity.; Your GPA is lower than most as is the associated class rank ( top 5%, normally with unweighted 4.0 or extremely close to it) but your SAT is in the right ball park. Your ECs show leadership & initiative as well as some interesting activities. I’d say it will be down to your recommendation & essays at this point. If you have not yet sent in a rec, be sure to pick wisely & let them know what you are attempting to do (gain admission to BHP & give them some background info on the program). Regarding your GPA swing, will it help? no, probably not, it will need to be overcome since most of your competition will have 4 solid years of GPA performance. It is a holistic decision, so if your other items submitted are amazing you could still impress the selection committee - good luck!</p>

<p>Based on your class rank (top 25%) and SAT scores, you’re an academic admit. School/major is first come, first serve. So not sure I see the problem here.</p>

<p>@lee6666, BHP stands for Business Honors Program. It is both an honors program & a major, one that is not filled by rolling admissions but by selection on a competitive basis.</p>

<p>I too am interested in BHP. Based on your stats i think you have a very good shot. </p>

<p>bump 10char</p>

<p>are there any specific requirements for mays bhp req letters? my teacher was wondering…</p>

<p>From the BHP site ( linked above):
"Who should write my letter of recommendation?</p>

<p>The person writing your letter of recommendation should be a teacher who knows you well. You want your letter of recommendation to tell the reviewers something the rest of your application does not."</p>

<p>What my son did was research the BHP site, write up a synopsis of what BHP is and what type of students they select (in his opinion). He also added his resume & some other information about himself that his teacher may not have known (or provided specifics). Basically loading your teacher with all the info. so they can easily write an rec tailored to being selected to be a BHP student. We did not see the rec he wrote for him (it is against policy at our school) but he did get into BHP. Hope that helps a little - good luck!</p>

<p>Will AIS show if a rec letter has been sent? Or is there no way of knowing (other than asking the sender, obviously!)?</p>

<p>bump 10char</p>

<p>bump</p>