Mays Business Honors vs. University Honors

My son has applied for Mays Business Honors. Although he has strong stats for class rank, test scores, leadership in his ECs,…, I am concerned that his extra curricular activities may not be as “advanced” as they may like. (His main ECs are VERY time consuming, Marching Band and Varsity Basketball, and did not allow for time for him to do any business related EC or any real unique ECs.) Being in Mays Business Honors is his main goal. He has decided not to apply to other more “exclusive” schools and is really hoping to get into this honors program.

However, looking ahead, if he does not get into the Mays Business Honors program, he is trying to decide if he should apply to the University Honors. If he does decide to apply and gets accepted, will he be able to register for Business Honors courses or are those only for Mays Business Honors students?

FYI. You don’t even have to be in honors program to take honors classes. So the answer is yes he can. My son changed major into Mays his sophomore year. Any student who has above a 3.5 cumulative gpa can register for honors classes based on availability. Hope that helps.

Thank you… that helps a lot. Idid not realize this!

I will add - one of the benefits of being in an honors program is that they get priority registration (they can register for classes before everyone else, except maybe the athletes). Some honors classes can fill up quickly.

@sapphire33 That can be a huge advantage. My son will have Priority Registration through Disability Support Services.