Mays Chance Me

Major: Unspecified Business
Class Rank: 8/61 (top 13%)
GPA: 4.018/4.5 Weighted; 3.57 Unweighted
ACT:
Composite 29, Math 26, Science 27, Reading 31, English 33, (February 2019)
Composite 29, Math 24, Science 24, Reading 35, English 32, (July 2019)
Composite 29, Math 27, Science 26, Reading 27, English 35, (September 2019)
Superscore (yes, I know A&M doesn’t superscore): Composite 31, Math 27, Science 27, Reading 35, English 35
AP: my school doesn’t do APs. 61 hours of DC, 6 regular college credits.
EC: NHS (2 years, officer), PTK (2 years, officer), Theatre Club (2 years, officer), UIL Academics (3 years, 2 awards), my school’s Ambassador program (3 years), 100+ hours of community service

Chance me, please! I’m so nervous.

@laurawrites

Do you attend a Century Scholar high school?

Mays for review applicants is almost zero chance of admission. Mays takes 1000 freshmen students. Mays fills up by late fall and mostly with auto and academic admits.

@Thelma2 No, I just attend a small Early College High School. My second choice major is political science, so I’m not super worried about that.

I would strongly suggest to try the SAT or maybe the ACT at TAMU to qualify for academic admit. You have a great extracurriculars - but in 2019 we saw students with stats as high as yours get PSA.

With all of your DC classes - BlinnTEAM is not an option. Based on the past two years those scores would more than likely get you TEAM (if that was an option) - and possibly College Station.

I’ve already done the SAT, got an 1140. Not really an option for me. There’s no way I can take a test at TAMU either, too expensive and too far away. At this point, I’m fine with my scores. If I have to major in political science and minor in business, that’s okay with me.

Last year was a TOUGH year. There were students on last year’s thread that has similar stats to yours that did not get admission to College Station. Most similar students not admitted to College Station got Blinn TEAM and not PSA. But your dual credit means Blinn Team would not work for you. Neither would PSA.

When analyzed the data shows - an equal amount of review students in the 10.1%-25% and 25.1%-50% were admitted.

While admission is likely - I would make sure you have a backup school you are comfortable with.

I’ve applied to 27 schools and already been accepted to 6. I think I’m pretty good, thank you.

@laurawrites

27 is a lot of schools. Have you run the financials on which colleges you can afford to attend? A&M is not inexpensive and your stats don’t qualify you for any merit aid.

Here’s my advice. I would never settle for a liberal arts degree because it’s from Texas A&M. That’ll hurt your future a lot more than it’ll help. No college is worth getting an unmarketable degree for a brand name. The idea behind college is to gain marketable skills so you can build a career. If you want to study business, go where the opportunity is and make sure the school is affordable.

@coolguy40 what is your post in response to? If you’re saying Liberal Arts is a bad degree if you want business, then I’d say that’s not entirely true. a BS in Econ with a business minor is more marketable than a management degree from Mays. Now if you get a History degree vs. business just to go to TAMU, then yes, that makes no sense.

I think that was in response to @laurawrites second choice being political science.

@coolguy40 I’m only “settling” for a liberal arts degree because it’s actually something I want to do. Before I realized I may not get into Mays, I was even considering talking to an advisor to see if I could double degree. My goal is to one day become a politician. The reason I was choosing business is because I want to go to law school and it’s a better degree to fall back on than liberal arts just in case things don’t work out. I’m now considering going to A&M (if I get accepted) and applying to the 3+2 program for political science, then applying to law school.

Also, I’ve visited A&M several times and have felt at home every time I’ve gone. I genuinely feel like it is the school for me. I’m not deciding to major in political science because it’s a degree from THE Texas A&M University, but because it’s a school and career I feel passionate about.

Liberal arts majors make higher LSAT scores than any other college. Econ and Philosophy being the two highest… So you are on the right path @laurawrites!!!
Keep us posted.

@laurawrites I wish you luck :slight_smile:

Hey! @laurarwrites I remember chatting with you on the TAMU 2024 Decisions forum about our chances of getting into A&M and that we had similar stuff (lots of dual credit). Have you gotten a decision?