Mays Honors

I was wondering if anyone could give any advice about who the best person would be to ask to write me a letter of rec for the Mays Honor program. I wasn’t sure if it should be from a teacher or a person in business that knows me well…I’m completely lost.

You select a teacher that knows you well. We gave him a rundown of what business honors is, what they look for in applicants & my sons resume ,transcript and some additional personal information. Honestly we considered writing ability of the teacher when we made the selection. He must have done a good job since he was admitted quickly to the program.We never saw the letter (it is our school’s policy not to release rec letters to students) so can’t help you with any insight on that.

Here’s the guidelines : http://mays.tamu.edu/bba-business-honors/application-requirements/ Good luck!

@AGmomx2 Do you think an orchestra teacher would be a good choice? I am homeschooled so my options for teachers are a little more limited. I do have a co-op leader that knows me well, but she might not write the letter in a timely matter. I also have a speech teacher that knows me a little. The orchestra teacher and co-op leader would be the ones who would know me best.

I think what is most important is to pick someone who knows you not just as student but as a person as well. You want them to write an essay about your strong character, leadership skills and teamwork. If you feel the orchestra teacher can do that then that is great choice. If not, the other teacher you feel might not get it in timely, you can ask upfront if they have time to allocate to the letter & check online to see if it is received.

Thank you so much!! I will get on it. You are so helpful on this forum :smiley: