Mays on campus change of major

Does someone know the process of on-campus change of major to Mays? My child has met the minimum requirements per Mays website and 4 A’s and 1 B in business required courses per their site. I wanted to know if Mays will do a holistic review or give admission if the requirement is met. Thanks!

1 Like

They only accept 100 change of majors per year. If he has 30 Tamu hours and those course completed (2 must be the maths) then he’ll go on his Howdy portal and follow the application process to apply to change. The app may actually be on the Mays site.

Good luck!!!

1 Like

@christiR93, thanks! I am aware of the requirements. I would like to know if there are any other criteria applied in the selection. Their site says a 3.5 overall GPA, 4 courses (2 math and 2 business) with a Cumulative GPA of 3.5. Do students get accepted if they meet these criteria or is there a selection process?

Only 100 are accepted PER YEAR so no. It is extremely competitve. My son had a 3.8 0verall and 4.0 in required courses and was accepted after fall semester sophomore year. He started immediately in the spring (we thought it would take a semester).

The bare minimum is never enough.

1 Like

@Noviite like @ChristiR93 said, change of major into Mays is very competitive, most likely 3.8-4.0 will be needed…and only 100 accepted.
Do they have all A’s in the Mays classes?

@52AG82, my son will be a Junior in the fall. He was admitted into Eng during his freshman year, did great in the first semester, and his spring semester grades tanked due to severe health issues. The bad grades were all in Eng-related courses. He came out of Engineering, moved into General Studies beginning of his sophomore year, got A’s in all courses (including Mays courses) both semesters and applied to business last week. His overall GPA is only 3.51 (due to a bad freshman spring semester), but he has an A in Math 151, B in Math 152, and 3 A’s in Mays business courses. He worked really hard to bounce back during his Sophomore year in spite of his health issues. Hopefully, they will review the application holistically. He didn’t mention his health issues in the essay, which may have helped. Crossing my fingers, thanks!

1 Like

@Noviite I sure hope it works out! But just know there are probably 100+ easily that have 3.8-4.0, so the gpa could very well hold him back.
Did he apply for a 2nd major?

@Noviite this was one persons experience last may, posted in the 2027 thread…

Eggscapgoats

Hpeterson

Dec 2022

@Hpeterson I know of a freshman last year who decided after one semester of engineering that he wanted to transfer to Mays. In his second semester, he took the required prerequisites and submitted his transfer application at midnight the minute it opened (sometime in May). Received an email early that morning announcing he was in Mays. I am pretty sure he had a 4.0. Based on his experience, I am guessing it is first come, first served for quality applicants until spots are gone. Anything is possible!!

3 Likes

Same. My son applied Day 1 and accepted Day 2 but with a 3.8

1 Like

Hi @ChristiR93, which year was it? My son contacted admissions and they said Mays is holding off making decisions till the end of the month. Thanks!

@eggscapgoats, thanks! From what the General studies advisor said, they have not released any decisions yet. It is supposed to be rolling admissions, which is not the case this year.

1 Like

Oops sorry. Not sure why I made that sound current. My son did this is 2020. I was jus trying to agree that we found our next day like the other poster.

1 Like

Happy to share that my son got into Business accepted this morning :). Thanks for your input!

2 Likes

WooHoo❗️
Once his status has changed to Mays on Aggie Directory, hop over to this FB page and request to join (they do verify student name/major via Directory). Congrats!

Will do, thanks!

1 Like