MBA application as a first-gen student

Hi everyone!

I’m currently a senior hoping to gain admission into a deferred MBA program. I’m looking at a program at an M7 school, of which I am currently enrolled in as an undergrad. I am also a first-gen (Asian American) student who is not familiar with the grad school admissions process.

How similar is this process to undergrad admissions? To what degree will hooks such being a first-gen woman help? Will these factors be of increased importance since my school is not requiring GMAT scores for people enrolled as undergrads?

Getting an MBA right out of undergrad is ill-advised and it’s unlikely you will be accepted especially to an M7, unless you’re talking about a deferred admission program. You need 2-5 years minimum of high quality work experience first to be a strong candidate. Why do you want an MBA right now? Do you have a job lined up for when you graduate? You should work first.

I am applying through my school’s deferred MBA program, which does not require students to take the GMAT. Applications open up in 2 months for seniors and we can choose to defer our enrollment for up to 5 years, which I’m planning to do.

Ok, great. My DD is applying for deferred admission as well. The process is similar to undergrad and it’s very competitive. Good luck!

Since MBA deferred admissions programs are new, it is difficult to judge whether admissions is similar to, harder than, or easier than traditional admissions.

In your case, a further complication is that Northwestern Kellogg has had a very dramatic rise in MBA applications after waiving the GMAT requirement due to covid-19. Not sure whether or not the deferred admission program will require the GMAT in the future, but I suspect that it will not.

NU Kellogg also offers a one academic year business masters degree open only to recent Northwestern graduates with less than one year of post undergraduate work experience.

The career services folks at your college will know everything you need to learn about MBA admissions. There is likely a counselor who specializes in professional program applicants- that’s the person to talk to.