MBA in 4 years

<p>My DS has decided that he is “underachieving” with a double major (finance/poly sci) and minor in history so he has decided to try the MBA in 4 years program. Anyone have any advice? He talked to Dr. Helms at the Honors College today and he said all DS needed to get caught up in the program (he’ll be a sophomore) was math 126 (calculus 2) . He only needs accounting to move to upper level finance. Sooooo he was considering taking stats, acct, and calculus this fall. I THINK I’ve convinced him that is too much so he is calling local community colleges to see if he can get one of them out of the way this summer. I remember reading the initial letter from Dr. Helms that the program was not for the “faint of heart”. Anyone have experience with this program?</p>

<p>Congratulations on your son deciding to do a dual degree program. I do wonder though, is it the MBA program or the MSF? My conversations with Dr. Helms have led me to believe that the MBA program is not eligible for University Scholars. </p>

<p>The schedule you mentioned sounds good. If your son can get into a summer course and has confirmation that the credits will transfer, then by all means have him take a summer course or two. I myself and quite a few other Honors College students I know are taking summer courses at other colleges/universities.</p>

<p>Seatide it IS a University Scholars program. Dr. Helms said the degree is a masters of finance so the MSF might be correct. What do you think of the program?</p>

<p>I agree with getting some of these requirements out of the way this summer at a CC. I would suggest either Cal II or Accounting. If the CC has two different sessions, he might do both.</p>

<p>Accounting usually requires a lot of homework…all those working papers.</p>

<p>If the double major and MBA pursuit prove to be too much, he could do a minor in Poly Sci.</p>

<p>Check first to see what the courses will transfer as <a href=“https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype[/url]”>https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype&lt;/a&gt; . Note that some schools split up the accounting sequence; AC 201 and 202 together can replace AC 210. </p>

<p>An MBA and MSF are two different, though related, degrees. I almost did the MSF program, but my course scheduling led me to choose to pursue a Master’s in Economics instead. The MSF program is very similar to the bachelor’s degree program, but with a some extra projects and classes.</p>

<p>If he can find classes at a local college, have him take whatever he needs to get into the upper division either this fall or during the spring. He may also need to take statistics to get into the upper division. He might be able to take some graduate level courses starting his junior year.</p>

<p>Also, if your son is considering a study abroad, he needs to plan his courses VERY carefully, especially if he has his eyes set on a specific study abroad program. From what I’ve been told, double majors who are doing University Scholars don’t usually study abroad and few, if any, have done a semester or year abroad.</p>

<p>Very interesting concept. Where can one find more information on the 4 year MBA/MSF programs? Is there an official program name or website?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>I actually found the letter from Dr. Helms! MABAMA he gave a couple of websites to view what the college of business has to offer for outstanding students. </p>

<p>[Programs</a> for Outstanding Students](<a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”>Home - The Culverhouse College of Business)</p>

<p>[Programs</a> for Outstanding Students](<a href=“Home - The Culverhouse College of Business”>Home - The Culverhouse College of Business)</p>

<p>Sorry not sure how to make those addresses links!!</p>

<p>Seatide the direction my DS wants to go is the University Scholars program which will allow him to get his degree in finance as well as a MS in finance. What do you think of that program? He also wants to get his degree in poly sci and minor in history also!</p>

<p>I think that it a very good program and know that he should be able to complete both of those majors and minor in history provided that he knows what courses he needs to take for each major/minor. </p>

<p>The Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies department really encourages its top students to have multiple majors and get a master’s degree in Finance or Economics through the University Scholars program. For example, I am majoring in Finance, Economics, and Mathematics (specifically Mathematical Statistics) and getting a Master’s in Economics (Data Mining), while momreads’s son is majoring in Economics, Political Science, and Mathematics, minoring in CBHP, and getting a master’s in Economics.</p>

<p>Greetings from Bama Bound. Not being an Honors Session, we we were fortunate to be able to spend quality time with Dr. Sharpe yesterday to discuss my D’s schedule and a little strategic planning. With all her APs, she will be upper division by Fall of 2012, and Dr. Sharpe strongly suggested she maintain a track that will allow her to achieve her Masters degree in 4 years. I am again amazed at the attention that the our sons / daughters are receiving. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I attended the May 31-June 1 Bama Bound session for Honors only. I was very surprised that the general advising session (in the College of Communications) did not address their honors offerings directly nor was there any other honors specific info – like how scholarships were to be accounted for in the financial aid session. To meet Dr. Sharpe we waited in a 1/2 hour long reception line. He was gracious, but obviously tired, as he gave contradictory information to what the Comm College told my DD during her course sign up the following day. Advantage to the wait time in line was I had plenty of time to chat with other parents/students much to my DD’s dismay!</p>

<p>*like how scholarships were to be accounted for in the financial aid session. *</p>

<p>What is your concern? </p>

<p>Like most schools…Scholarships get applied to “need” first…if they end up covering “need” and extend into EFC, then EFC is reduced.</p>

<p>What was the contradictory info?</p>

<p>*I was very surprised that the general advising session (in the College of Communications) did not address their honors offerings directly *</p>

<p>Have you been asked to do the survey about BB? If so, mention that. And, also send an email to the Comm dept and tell them this…they need to change that for future BBs.</p>

<p>If you’re asking about scholarships in a more general sense, you’ll get your online bill and it will have charges for tuition, room, board fees etc., then it will give you a credit for the tuition which comes right off your total due.</p>

<p>Your experience with Bama Bound does sound similar to ours, we had very little (almost no) time with Dr. Sharpe and quite honestly DS has had no interaction with him this entire year, despite taking Honors classes. This hasn’t really impacted anything but quite honestly to read here sometime you could get the impression that he’s personally involved with each and every student, which quite frankly is not the case. That said, any questions of ours have always been addressed and answered by Honors College staff which is I guess what matters. </p>

<p>While we did get the needed info/advising from the Engr. Dept. and CS in particular, the Studio Art department was not represented at all but rather fell under the general A&S session. Our questions got answered via email after the session, and scheduling, at least for that major, was done by figuring it out from the catalog, no benefit to being there in person for that one. That was a big disappointment, especially given that coming from OOS there are not a lot of times I would get the chance to hear more about the dept. and programs in person.</p>

<p>Still and all it was a successful BamaBound, but there is always room for improvement. Agree with M2K that you should offer your comments, we did at the time. RTR!</p>

<p><a href=“almost%20no”>I</a> time with Dr. Sharpe and quite honestly DS has had no interaction with him this entire year, despite taking Honors classes. This hasn’t really impacted anything but quite honestly to read here sometime you could get the impression that he’s personally involved with each and every student, which quite frankly is not the case. *</p>

<p>Since he’s the director of CBHP and many here on CC have kids in CBHP, it could appear that way. However, there are a few thousand kids in the Honors College, so there’s no way that one person - especially the Dean - is going to have personal interaction with most/all unless the student initiates it. That said, Dr. S is a very visible Dean…he doesn’t keep himself in some ivory tower somewhere.</p>

<p>But, as you said, it makes no difference in the big scheme of things. My younger son is also in honors and he’s had very little interaction with Dr. S…simply because he hasn’t needed any. He’s ChemE and pre-med…he spends more time with those kind of people/advisors. </p>

<p>Personally, I don’t find BB to be that individually or personally informative. You have a hundreds of kids and parents with questions. That’s why I don’t care for Capstone Honors Day, either. I prefer it when people schedule a regular day visit and have Jami or whomever arrange the day --meeting honors people, meeting dept heads, etc. Much more personal attention than when attending functions with hundreds of others.</p>

<p>GCB, AL34 and m2ck … i suppose my posting from earlier this morning was meant to really emphasize that while we were originally disappointed that we’d NOT be able to attend Honors BB, the result was that the one we just attended, F4, only had 3 CBH kids present. We stopped by Nott Hall 3 or 4 times, and Dr. S specifically asked my D to come by and show him her schedule after it was signed off on by advisors at C&BA. He expressed frustration that each of the colleges DON’T do better jobs of highlighting the Honors choices and differences. We spent about 30-45 minutes with him in his office, and he could not have been more helpful. I am CERTAIN, that supply and demand differences certainly affect his and other Honors Staff from being able to give similar service to all Honors Students especially during Honors BB. However, in that respect, a lack of Honors attendance worked in our favor. My D got all her classes, but wants to switch to a micro econ honors section, so will need to wait to see if one opens up, but otherwise she has the non-honors class if that is her only option. Good luck to everyone else attending BB this summer. We had a BLAST, and we had multiple occasions to meet Crimsonmom and her husband. Their son and my D knew each other already. We ate at Cypress Inn and Mugshots … no BBQ this time. Be Well all …</p>

<p>I’ve said this before, but to be successful at UA, it isn’t necessary to be in CBHP and/or UFE, BFF’s with Dr. Sharpe, etc. While all those things can certainly help open doors, one can manage very well without them.</p>

<p>While I introduced myself to Dr. Sharpe at Bama Bound, my first actual meeting with him was during April of my freshman year and was actually in response to a complaint I had (long story). A year later, we know each other quite well, but I don’t discuss each and every academic decision with him.</p>

<p>For the majority of people and situations, a manager/supervisor is not needed. Do you need to speak with the manager every time you go to the grocery store? Probably not. Yes, the college education of a top student is different, but Dr. Sharpe is human and thus does not and cannot know every intricacy of UA. Dr. Halli and m2ck likely know more about UA than anyone else, but there are still questions that they cannot answer, but will refer you to someone who can.</p>

<p>My best advice is to have your student take charge of their education and help them when necessary. When questions and problems arise, contact the people who know what they’re talking about and can help you. CC is a great resource for much of this and while we don’t have the power to grant course overrides, give you more scholarships, etc., we can direct you to the appropriate people. When contacting these people, be polite, but assertive. Chances are, you will get what you want/need and end the conversation with Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>We’re just home from Bama Bound. Loved meeting Dad2ILD and part of his family! It was a wonderful experience. Like Dad, we were worried about not being able to attend an Honors Session. </p>

<p>Regarding the discussion with meeting with Dean Sharpe, Honors staff and professors in your major - the UA staff and students repeatedly stated that it was important to get to know your advisors and professors and initiate that contact. That would be with those in your major as much as Honors College staff. All are professional, friendly and engaging. </p>

<p>At the same time, Sea Tide is correct. CC and the parents here are a valuable resource. The knowledge we gained from generous parents on this Board made our experience at Bama Bound even richer.</p>

<p>Our son was fortunate that he was able to meet with Dr. Sharpe and Ms. Batson and receive advice from them. I believe that they went to Nott Hall spontaneously rather than at a scheduled time so I think that Dr. Sharpe made time for them. We all appreciate that. If a scheduled meeting time or reception style meeting were made for many people I’m sure a line would form. That’s what happened at Capstone Honors Day. I remain surprised at how he remembers the student’s names over the months of absence.</p>

<p>The only word of warning I have about Bama Bound is that it is a very long first day. Be prepared! Wonderful events and good information but very long. </p>

<p>One other tip from one of the students. They use a “clicker” for quite a few of the large classes to take attendance or to take pop quizes. There are used and new “clickers”. New, they are $60 and used are around $30.00 We got a used one that looks brand new. They recommended purchasing at Bama Bound while there are used models left. Hope that helps you.</p>

<p>Weren’t the Avanti’s and Parent Ambassodors interesting young people? My family really enjoyed chatting with them during dinner and other events. UA is attracting a bright, happy group of kids. My family feels we are blessed to be a part of it.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Ah, yes…the clickers!..try to get a used one if possible. </p>

<p>Some of the math and physics classes (and other classes) use them to get “instant response” to find out if students are understanding concepts that were just presented. A prof will put a problem on the board, the students put the answer in their clicker…and then the prof instantly sees how many got the answer wrong…which tells him whether the concept needs further instruction.</p>

<p>I remain surprised at how he remembers the student’s names over the months of absence.</p>

<p>We were surprised that after meeting Dr. S when S1 was a junior in high school…and then when we saw him in line for food at Bama a year later (before CBH selections), he remembered S1’s name.</p>

<p>If a clicker is required for a course, is it listed on the Supe Store’s booklist?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I just looked up a few classes that my kids had in the past, and I don’t see clickers listed in the “listed textbooks”…</p>

<p>Maybe other can look up classes they had.</p>

<p>Remember…you only need one clicker.</p>

<p>However, if you’re req’d to have a “web assign” you need one for each class…but some “bundles” come with them.</p>

<p>Pay attention to bundles…that confused us the first year. </p>

<p>I noticed that the SUPE store has a rental option…and an ebook option</p>

<p>Last year DSs’ booklist on SupeStore listed a clicker. He got a used one and it works with no problem.
FWIW I got the majority of DSs books for this fall online, beat the SupeStore price by a huge amount on some, minor on others, but definitely saved around $200 total over the used prices.</p>