1. CSU GPA : 4.00(took 7 Honors & AP’s)
  2. ACT(Math 30, English 34)- : 32
  3. Community Service : 1 hour per week
  4. Work Scholarship TA in her school : 150 hours per year
    (Amount adjusted to her school fee)
  5. She is in California scholarship federation: last 3 semesters
  6. President of Badminton club at her school:
  7. Served in school committees: Freshman, Sophomore and Junior year
  8. Into other clubs at school(Cultural, women in computers etc)

I am kind of confused in calculating MCA. Just want to find out her chances of getting into Cal Poly SLO in Undergrad Engineering( Computer Sciences). Appreciate for your valuable suggestions or guidance.

CS has around a 5-7% acceptance rate. The average SLO GPA (using 9-11th grades with the 8 semester Honors cap) was 4.21 and average ACT was 32 for the College of Engineering (not specific for CS) but you can expect the stats to be at or above these numbers for a solid chance.

Due to low acceptance rate, she should consider SLO a Reach school regardless of her MCA point score. EC’s are a small part of the application and they are not specifically listed. Only hours/week along with any relevant job experience that is geared towards her major. They only account for 10% of the MCA points. GPA, test scores and HS course rigor makeup for most of the points.

Thanks for your quick response. What are her chances for Software Engineering if not CS in SLO. Will there be any difference in acceptance percentage between CS and SE in Cal Poly SLO?

SE has a projected acceptance rate of around 30% so it might be a good option especially if SLO is her top choice.

Thx for ur response. So will put SE as first choice and second choice as CS(I think they allow to put 2 choice of majors)

The drop down for the alternate major is not available at this time for SLO. They are aware of the problem and on working on a fix. In the meantime, she can select an alternate major by using this link:

https://admissions.calpoly.edu/applicants/appchanges.html

No one who does not get into SE will get into CS, thus it’s a waste of your second choice. Note, VERY few get offered second choices anyway. Good luck!

Thx both of you for your valuable suggestions. Application process is really confusing :slight_smile: