MCA scores and admission decisions timeline

OOS student trying to decipher the admissions timeline.

If it’s true that Cal Poly uses MCA for all/most of the admission decisions, why does it take so long to release the decisions if the applications are due on 11/30? (wouldn’t it just be a sorting of the MCA scores as some have suggested, modulo the checking for accuracy and completeness of the application)

If it’s more than just the MCA, what other factors are believed to be factored into the decisions?

Another philosophical question that I have is how can you use GPAs in the MCA calculation if the GPAs between high schools have different levels of rigor? (attending a “difficult” school and receiving a top education, top SAT score, but a low GPA because the grading standards are very high).

Conversely, I know that standardized tests (SAT, ACT) take care of variation in academics between schools but a one time sitting for an exam may also not be a true measure of a student’s aptitude.

Everyone who follows CP is flummoxed by the delay in reporting decision because it is algorithm based. There is no human decision making in the process. There are no other factors though, the best we know.

GPA is GPA. Rigor is calculated by courses taken. That is one of issues with using an algorithm…how do you decide whose school is really tougher than the next? That is difficult to assess objectively, and thus not part of the algorithm. What I can say, is that rigorous high schools don’t prepare you to get into college. They prepare you to get out. Any advantage of easier grading is short lived.

Lastly, the one time nature of tests is why it doesn’t count as much in the algorithm as GPA. CP is very liberal in how they use test scores though. You can take them as many times as you want and they superscore across platforms.

Good luck.

@eyemgh, thanks for the reply. It makes total sense. Every applicant wants their shortcomings not to figure prominently in their application. In this case, it’s GPA. My son who attends a very competitive high school in Austin gets a great education but gets “penalized” by having a lower GPA because the grading is so tough. On the bright side he has lots of 3,4, and 5s for his AP tests.

He is applying to architecture and I think he’s right on the border line of acceptance.
Cal Poly GPA. 3.89
SAT 1430
ACT 31 (M:33, CR:31)
MCA: 4520 (I think if they superscore the ACT)

Best of luck to all.

Has he done any work that is major related? Any EC leadership positions? These both can be fairly derivative as CP doesn’t quality what they mean.

Alas, we didn’t stumble onto the MCA calculation for Cal Poly admisson until after he submitted his application. But doing the calculation after the fact, he did indeed have leadership positions but wasn’t generous with his work and EC hours . 750 for school rigor and 200 for ECs.

Search the final status threads for architecture for the last two years to see if any admitted MCAs were reported. Also, for majors where portfolios are required, it may not be all about MCA. Doesn’t Architecture require one?

The Architecture major does not require a portfolio.

No advice, just sympathy. My daughter got a C in geometry and her teacher said she was one of his top students. The grading at her HS was intensely harsh. I think it’s really hard to apply to schools where the applicant is rated by an algorithm in those cases. On the other hand, here’s hoping he got a fabulous education.