McGill Decisions Class of 2027

The cutoffs vary by college and major. You’d need to check. The cutoffs I am citing are for US High school students - if you are coming from outside the US there are different criteria (for example, IB Diploma, French BAC, English A levels etc. Here is the link:

1 Like

Can someone call the scholarship office about the major scholarship please?

so for either a US or non US applicant satisfying all requirements but SAT, there would be zero incentive to submit SATs sub cuts. But what disadvantage would that applicant have vs the same applicant submitting 750+750 SAT if it’s indeed that optional?

Great question. Silly and stressful situation right now. I don’t understand how this can be a rolling admission. Submitted everything on November 15 and still pending decision

1 Like

I really can’t say. I think it depends on how strong the rest of the app is and how competitive the major is. These cutoffs are minimums and meeting them doesn’t assure admission as they state right up front. I think I remember that your child is an IB candidate from outside the US - not sure what (if any) testing is required as long as you achieve the right IB #s (I’m not familiar with IB so can’t comment on that).

It is McGill’s version of rolling admissions. applicants with the highest stats are admitted first. the closer to the cutoff the longer the wait. There is also McGill’s need to balance enrolment e.g 50% of students must be from Quebec.

1 Like

for IB, the differences can be staggering. Environmental science requires IB predicted grade of 30/42 (and 700+700 SAT if submitted) at the School of Agriculture & Environment (McDonald Campus), and 38/42 (and 700+700 SAT if submitted) at the School of Arts & Science. This is a huge gap

1 Like

It is based on facility capacity and demand for each major

Just got the admission decision (US Student). Admitted to Desautels. Whohoo! Now time to decide Desautels vs. Rotman :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulation! Both excellent business schools, very different cities. Desautels was the foundation for a very successful career for my (American) son.

1 Like

Got our second decision today. 2 weeks ago: waitlisted for Civil Eng. Today: accepted for BCom. Good luck!

Look everyday! As I just mentionned we got our 2nd decision today. FINALLY! Gives us 1 week to make a decision now

Canada does look at difficulty of course load: For example, UBC looks upon AP courses favorably and will convert an AP exam score of 5 to a 96% while calculating the admissions average. As for McGill, this is from their FAQ for U.S. high school applicants: “In order to make the best-informed admission decision possible, McGill Admissions will consider all academic aspects of your application. This includes grades, breadth of course choice, challenge level of courses (rigour), rank in class (if available), and completed examinations results, such as Advanced Placement (AP). You may be asked to provide a school profile.”

1 Like

From an article last month in Maclean’s:

Gillian Nycum, McGill University, Registrar and Executive Director, Enrolment Services:**In the fall of 2021, we had 12,000 more applications than we got the previous year—an increase of 18 per cent. There’s been a change in student behaviour through that time, too, with students who’ve been accepted in the earlier admissions rounds putting off making decisions until later. Sometimes they’ve been accepted by multiple schools, but they haven’t been able to visit campuses to rule them out—so they ask for an extension of the confirmation deadline. For us in admissions, we’ve had to manage on the fly, because we couldn’t plan for this. At the same time, our school’s teaching capacity is the same, and we’re maintaining stable enrolment in our undergraduate programs, so we’re looking for the same number of students even though we have many more applications. This means that, in certain programs, the students who are getting offers have higher grades compared to previous cohorts.

2 Likes

Daughter just found out that she got a scholarship. Check your portal for update.

Congratulations :star_struck: Nothing for me yet, but hope it comes soon. How much did she get?

My son applied to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, but he has a few grades that are on the borderline of the cutoff requirements, and he currently has the Decision Pending status on his application. If he gets rejected from Art&Sci, but exceeds the requirements for the regular Arts Faculty, will they offer him a spot in the normal Arts department instead of Arts&Sci?

1 Like

Did he also apply to Arts? If not, he will not be considered. There is the option to apply to two programs on the application.

1 Like

Anyone heard back from the major renewable scholarship? I am an international student and it has been saying in-process for a while

Just received 3k major scholarship. Will reject the offer. Sad