McGill Honors vs U Wisconsin Madison for pre-law

D was admitted to Mcgill in their Honors Program, and to U Wisconsin Madison. We are waiting for 1 more big decision later this week, but at the moment McGill and Wisco are her top two schools. There seem to be definite perks to being in an honors program, but grade deflation is certainly a concern. Heard great things about Wisconsin. Any insight so appreciated!

Are you a US or Canadian Citizen? Have you been to both? McGill is in a much bigger city.

What are you studying - I assume pre-med or law by the deflation comment. I personally think these schools “know” the undergrad institutions - as all these deflationary schools do place kids in grad schools (including medical and law).

Cost issues?

1 Like

Totally different environments: large bilingual city versus medium sized city/college town. Of the two, McGill would be the more academically demanding. My son (an American) graduated from McGill and loved the school and the city. The fact that he met the woman there who would eventually become his wife was a nice bonus. :smile:

What would you daughter be studying?

3 Likes

What is she planning to study? I wanted to mention you can still apply for UW Madison honors if that is of interest and planning on L&S at Madison. I don’t think honors necessary for Madison and there are other ways to work on honor designations at UW. They mostly fill honors in the order apps are recieved, it may fill up. But it is nice for some freshman to have those social connections out of the gate. But there are other ways (FIGS, LLCs, clubs, etc)

If you want a traditional college experience with a rigorous education, UW is great pick and Madison is a great little city (and we live in a larger city). I have a senior graduating this year.

1 Like

Thank you for this insight! Yes, she is pre-law, majoring in history and asian studies, and an interest in neuroscience. We are US. My family lived in Toronto many years ago, and Canada is just pretty great.

Thank, Tom! Agreed - totally different environments. We are US based. She would be pre-law, studying history and Asian studies (she is fluent in mandarin and wants to continue her Asian studies), and an interest in neuroscience. Congrats on your son and DIL!!!

Thank you, Kayla! Congratulations on your senior!

I’d say 1) make sure it’s affordable and then 2) go where you want.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.