Mcuthcheon Hall

<p>hey
anybody have any reviews for mcuthcheon hall?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>It’s the farthest dorm from the academic buildings. Rooms are okay size but on the smaller side compared to some other dorms but they have air conditioning. I think it was just renovated recently because it has air conditioning now, but not sure when exactly.</p>

<p>Hey I’m in the Mcuthcheon Hall
The Overnight Program is over there and its not too bad. Oh and yes there is air conditioning. In fact, the a/c makes the room get incredibly cold sometimes. The nearest dining court is about a 2 minute walk (Hillenbrad) and its pretty good.</p>

<p>Oh and if you have any other questions just facebook me.
Hiren Kiran Mistry from Fremont CA
I’ll be a freshman this year!</p>

<p>Incredibly cold sometimes? can’t you control the temperature?</p>

<p>You can control the temperature by how weak/strong you want it, it is not a typical temperature control system you have at home. Purdue controls when cold/hot air comes out so yeah… Personally, I prefer having a colder room than a hotter room. </p>

<p>After Hillenbrand, Earhart, Shreve, and Cary Suites, I would place McCutcheon as the 5th best dorm at Purdue along with Harrison(both the same except Harrison has the grille). The rooms are pretty nice with a lot of closet space. The only negative is the laundry room because other dorms like Earhart, Owen, and Cary have a nicer laundry facility. McCutcheon just has 2 plastic tables in the middle of a rectangular room with a few chairs. Earhart has a huge rectangular room with a lot of washers, dryers, and folding tables. Owen has a lounge connected to the laundry room so they don’t have to suffer through the early fall/spring/summer heat when doing laundry.</p>

<p>For dining go to Earhart, Windsor, or Ford because Hillenbrand and Wiley suck, imho. Wiley is overrated for their overcooked meat and make-your-own-pasta. The only good thing about Wiley is their double-swipe meals such as bacon-wrapped steak, grilled scallops/shrimp, etc. Hillenbrand’s selection isn’t that good and the make-your-own quesadillas don’t taste good. Earhart has a good selection usually and has the make-your-own stir fry which is pretty darn good and addicting. Windsor has tons of ladies, spaghetti, and a good food selection. Ford has one of the best food selections and is the best dining court at Purdue imo.</p>

<p>Curious…do most people loft their beds? I know it gives you more room but is it a pain to have your bed up high? The futon is nice.</p>

<p>From what I’ve seen, yes. The only negative is getting on top of your bed when you’re about to sleep. You most likely have to step on your chair, desk, then the shelf that is on top of the desk. Having a futon is always a plus since it’s comfortable and gives you a place to sit down other than your wood chair.</p>

<p>considering it…thanks</p>

<p>I lived in McCutcheon hall last year. It’s just really far from class, but that’s offset by the Gold Loop which stops right outside the hall. The bus system is fantastic at Purdue. It is consistent to the minute every single day. I didn’t walk to a single class after November. The bus system is just too nice. </p>

<p>I would recommend lofting your bed. It creates quite a bit of space in an otherwise small room.</p>

<p>I’m going with the loft and so is my roommate. Thanks for the bus info…</p>

<p>Make sure you send your lofting fee before the deadline so you don’t have to make the loft yourself when you arrive.</p>

<p>One useful thing about the citybus that relatively few people know about:</p>

<p>You can go to gocitybus.com and look for “myride” they have widgets you can add to your computer desktop or other ways to track the buses. All the buses are equipped with GPS, and there are only about two stops that have a time chart of when the next loop is arriving. For example, on a cold winter day, you can look at your computer and see when the next three buses are expected to arrive at your stop. No waiting for the bus! I never had to wait for a bus in the cold!</p>

<p>I think they are upgrading the system now, but when it comes back online, it’s a great tool to use! And enjoy the walk when it’s warm out. It helps cure cabin fever and may help burn off all the dining hall food!</p>

<p>Not only does walking help with what Boilers1869 said, but it is sometimes a lot faster than the bus system.</p>

<p>Are there alot of bikes at Purdue? I assume thats a good way to get around when the weather is decent.</p>

<p>Yeah a lot of people have bikes, but many people stop using them throughout the year. Mainly because people leave them outside in the snow and cold weather which obviously ruins them. Or they just don’t take care of them. Or they break. Or it’s raining. A lot more people take the bus (which may or may not take forever to arrive), or just walk. I suggest walking; everything is pretty close to each other on campus.</p>

<p>The bus system is not something you should really rely on during bad weather (ex. rain or snow) because A LOT of people will be using it. Trust me, Silver Loop and Gold Loop (both routes go from the academic buildings to the dorms) get really crowded. You can even compare it to a subway system during rush hour. If you could try to get appropriate clothing and walk back instead since it can be more comfortable.</p>

<p>You don’t really need a bike but a lot of people have one. People will mess with your bike during the night especially on weekends since they tend to do it drunk or high or both. Most people just buy the cheap bikes from Walmart so not really a huge loss but money is money.</p>

<p>Yes, a Walmart bike is what I had in mind. Thanks.</p>

<p>…and a really good bike lock!</p>

<p>You should buy a bike lock that has a long cord so you could lock both wheels to the rack as well. Don’t be surprised when you see your bike missing a wheel lol</p>