Meal plan downgrade question

<p>Thank you, timeflew, for the donation. I’m sure the program doesn’t get many donations from upperclassmen, since they can get the 50 meal plan, that does not include guest meals. Since freshmen are required to have a meal plan that has guest meals, it’s nice that those with the overage can give to this program.</p>

<p>We went with the unlimited this year because there wasn’t too much cost difference between that and the plan below it, and we had no idea how many meals son would actually use. We will definitely get a smaller plan next year.</p>

<p>Son must be the only one who ran out of meals in his Silver plan. Being very practical, he ate most meals in the dining hall since he knew they were already paid for. Will have to pay for an additional 50 meals, the overage for which will carry over next semester. However, instead of paying for an additional 50, can he purchase the Silver plan now for next semester and begin using the meals on that plan until Christmas break? He will obviously have to buy more meals after that runs out mid-semester.</p>

<p>my DD has over 50 meals left which comes out to over 4 per day of school left! and she NEVER eats breakfast at the dining hall.</p>

<p>she has also used almost none of her dining dollars and only about 25 dollars of her bama cash!</p>

<p>i sure hope we can downgrade the meal plan.</p>

<p>hmmm. Don’t know but m2ck had mentioned the Thrifty 20 meal plan addition for $172.</p>

<p>My D has used about $200 of her dining dollars and probably about $300 on bama cash (mostly at Publix.)</p>

<p>Sophocles…He can’t start on a new Silver plan now, but you can buy the Thrifty 20 and those will carry over with the new Silver.</p>

<p>I wonder if I can buy two Thrifty 20’s. At two meals a day, it looks like he will need about 40 meals to carry him up until Christmas break.</p>

<p>Remember that your son can always pay for meals with dining dollars or another form of payment ($6.30 for breakfast/late-night, $9.00 for lunch, and $9.25 for dinner.) Otherwise, if he has friends with extra guest meals, maybe they can work something [legal] out.</p>

<p>If one of the meals your son eats is breakfast then it would be cost effective to just use cash to finish off the semester. </p>

<p>using cash
20 x 6.30 = $126
20 x 9.25 = $185
total cash = $311</p>

<p>Meal plan
2 x 172 = $344</p>

<p>I thought of that too, Seatide and NJ, but my son eats breakfast in his suite, or not at all, if he’s running late for an early class. His dining dollars account is pared down to $32. We’ll fill in the Thrifty 20 for now, but I agree that cash may be cheaper for him after the Thrifty 20 is gone. Nine dollars for lunch seems high and he can certainly eat for less elsewhere.</p>

<p>if he has a suite style room, he can easily make lunches there for less than 9.00 a day, that is if you are looking to conserve money.</p>

<p>Well, I said I’d let everyone know when I heard something so I figured I’d just share the email exchange:</p>

<h1>1 (from my D)</h1>

<p>I would like to downgrade my meal plan for the Spring 2011 semester from the Silver Plan (160 meals) to the Bronze Plan (90 meals.) I understand that there will be a $35 processing fee to make the change.</p>

<h1>2 (from Dining)</h1>

<p>Freshmen are not allowed to downgrade lower than the Silver.</p>

<h1>3 (from my D)</h1>

<p>I hate to be a bother, but as of the end of this week I will have 43 credits and so will be classified as an upperclassman. Based on that information, is it possible for me to change my mealplan?</p>

<h1>4 (from Dining)</h1>

<p>They require your first two semesters…I’m sorry</p>

<p>So there you have it. D will start off January with 252 meals plus 10 guest meals…and $380 in Dining Dollars.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I wonder if after the credits are on file, if you just call as if there’s been no previous exchange and just request the downgrade.</p>

<p>Rob I sent you a private message.</p>

<p>RobD: I guess when you and the rest of the family are heading to T-Town for a weekend, you are planning a dinner date at Lakeside?</p>

<p>My son is on the 50-meal plan. He still has 29 meals left. He likes to eat … just not that much.</p>

<p>Thanks Keith!</p>

<p>@m2ck: I wondered that too, and had thought about having D wait to send the email till next week. But the bill has to be paid on Friday and I was trying to be efficient. They did specifically say 2 semesters…</p>

<p>@Momreads: um, no. I think we’re going to go to the Cypress Inn for lunch since all the reviews on here have been great. Sadly, Nick’s is not open for lunch…</p>

<p>I was told the same thing. But I am going to try again over the break and see what happens. If anyone is successful please let me know what the “magic words” are.</p>

<p>maybe you should call , mom! you seem to be able to get things done.</p>

<p>you can call for me. : )</p>

<p>has this been done successfully in the past?</p>

<p>if virtually noone uses all their meals on the silver plan, maybe they should modify the required number of meals. my DD eats on campus a LOT, but she is not a breakfast eater. if she eats breakfast at all it would be something like yogurt and a muffin, or a bagel and orange juice. all of those things are easier to just eat in the dorm.</p>

<p>guess all our kids can eat dinners at bryant next semester!!! what do they have at bryant that is so special that it costs TWO swipes?</p>

<p>“what do they have at bryant that is so special that it costs TWO swipes?”</p>

<p>Football players :-)</p>

<p>DD is in the same boat. She is currently on Silver (160) and has about 70 left from this semester that will be wasted. She also will be on sophomore status after the end of her dec finals, and we want to downgrade to the 50 or 90 meal plan. </p>

<p>We have already paid the fees due on the 10th, and I assume that if we can downgrade before the start of the new semester, the money will just be credited to Kari’s account.</p>