Meal Plan Explanation, Please

<p>Can someone please explain how the meal plan works (especially concerning billing)? Bama Gold - $1,634 per semester + $300 in dining dollars. So I have to have $1,934 in my account when fall semester starts and $1,634 when spring semester begins? OAN: What is a “receivables account”?
Thanks. (I’m confused.)</p>

<p>First of all, I doubt you’d need to use the Bama Gold plan. That’s too much food.</p>

<p>Start with Bama Silver as a frosh. Downgrade to Bronze when you’re a soph</p>

<p>No, you don’t have $1934 in an acct. You are purchasing X number of meals. That X number is what would be in your meal plan acct. So, as you swipe your card at a Dining Hall, that X number decreases.</p>

<p>You would have $300 each semester in your Dining Dollars acct. That decreases every time you do 'retail dining" such as buying something at Starbucks or the Food Court or a vending machine on campus.</p>

<p>the reason that you should buy the smallest plan for a frosh is that kids quickly tire of Dining Halls, and they quickly start venturing off campus and eating at the many choices there. Also, kids RARELY eat on campus during weekends. There’s just too many off campus options on The Strip and other nearby places.</p>

<p>Once you pick a meal plan, it is billed to your Accounts Receivable. That’s your running tab/bill from the school.</p>

<p>Thank you (I had been wondering about which meal plan to get also, which was my next question). So all the money is not due all at once? By when does it all have to be paid?</p>

<p>You get charged a semester’s worth at a time.</p>

<p>So, if you choose the Silver Plan, then that semester’s cost will get billed in the Fall…along with the 300 Dining Dollars. Then you’ll be billed in January for the spring expenses.</p>

<p>If you don’t use your DDs, then you can get a refund at the end of the year.</p>

<p>If you qualify for full Pell, then that’s $5550 per year…about 2750 per semester. So, that can cover your meal plan and some extra costs.</p>

<p>Be sure to file FAFSA asap so that you’ll be considered for SEOG grant and work-study.</p>

<p>Also, work over the summer so that you have “book money” and money for dorm essentials…and misc expenses.</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>Microbiology.
So if I’m billed in August for the meal plan, when does it have to be completely paid off by? The end of fall semester? Or does the money have to be available all at once? (Not sure if I’m asking the question correctly.)</p>

<p>You can things up so that you can make monthly payments. Not sure how that’s done. I’ll see if I can find the details.</p>

<p>Do you know if you qualify for a 0 EFC? If so, then you’ll get 2750 each semester for that. That should cover your billable costs outside of the NA scholarship. You’ll also have 500 per semester from the NA scholarship.</p>

<p>edited to add… found it!</p>

<p><a href=“http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/bamaplan.html[/url]”>http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/bamaplan.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This is what I was looking for. Thanks! So to me it seems that either you break it up into monthly plans or you pay that bill by the time that the semester begins so that you can register. Does that sound correct?
For example:
[Registration</a> & Monthly Billing Schedule Fall 2010](<a href=“http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/billing_schedule_Fall_2011.html]Registration”>http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/billing_schedule_Fall_2011.html)</p>

<p>And I have done FAFSA estimates that have estimated my EFC to be 0.</p>

<p>You’ll actually be registering before your bill is due. You’ll register for classes during Bama Bound.</p>

<p>However, if your EFC is 0 (or close to it), your Pell Grant and that 1000 NA money, are going to cover your billable costs. </p>

<p>You can’t use a Pell Grant to cover “monthly payments” because Pell will get added and then immediately used to cover any outstanding Bama bills (meal plan, fees)</p>

<p>Anything you have left over, will be given to you.</p>

<p>However, to buy books, dorm stuff, and travel to Bama expenses, you should work over the summer and put that money towards those expenses.</p>

<p>tuition…covered by your NA scholarship
housing… "
fees… " (the $1000…likely have leftover money)
meal plan and Dining Dollars…covered by Pell Grant (probably will have $ left over)
books, dorm stuff, travel to campus…summer earnings.
day to day pocket money…possibly work study job, summer earnings, leftover Pell money.</p>

<p>Yay for m2ck! My brain could not wrap around my financial options for some reason. (It may or may not have something to do with the 4 hours of sleep that I got last night.) I’m hoping that everything will work out for the best because I love everything about Bama.
Roll tide!</p>

<p>OAN: Is it easier to get an on-campus job?</p>