Meal Plans

My daughter will be starting this fall. She will live on campus and have a meal plan. I don’t fully understand the difference among the various plans. Why wouldn’t we just get Plan F for $2146, and then just add money to it as it decreases? Why would I get a more expensive plan? Does Plan A have any advantage over Plan F?

Good question, I just read their site, and that seems to be the case as well. One would think they might offer a volume discount if you go with plan A, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

I did read this on their site:

Sounds like you may be forced to start with C? Not sure.

My son is finishing is freshman year. Default is C because it’s In the middle. You can take a lower one. It’s just a guide and you can use it to see how much they use. And adjust accordingly for future semesters. My son had leftover in December and it Rolled over to 2nd semester which I also did C. He now has leftover again so next year as a sophomore I will do a lower plan because I have left over. I think he’s atypical. Many boys need money added as they eat much more than my child. It’s all based on personal eating and spending habits.

That seems to be sound advice. Looks like Plan C is the way to start. Adjustments can be made as student progresses . Thanks.

My other child attends a different Suny & there they start all freshman with the highest meal plan to allow kids to adjust to the change & not have to stress nover money on a meal plan. They do allow them to change it but not until completing 30 credits. My daughter had 30 credits going in but she waited till after 1st semester. Not sure what Ill do here. My son is a picky eater but if he likes it can eat.

I think we are going to start with the highest plan here, since it can be rolled over continuously until graduation (or some other break in enrollment). My daughter is more of a grazer and will likely eat 4-5 snack like meals each day.

I feel a little sheepish, but I didn’t realize that the only option was a pay as you go option. I had assumed that the meal plan was a set cost, and kids could eat whatever they wanted, within their specified number of visits per week (or day). It appears that is not the case, and every food bagel or banana has a price that comes out of your balance. I had thought the debit system would be reserved for the fancier food items at the student center.

@HankCT Hmm I dont know. My daughter at another SUNY does have both an all you can eat dinning hall & pay per item. Most of the kids do prefer the food at pay per item better & do end up switching meal plan to more options. Goes I will be learning moron options at orientation.