Mechanical Eng and Honors College

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm hoping my son didn't wait too long to apply to Mechanical Engineering at TAMU. He has everything in by December 1st, I can tell by the Howdy page, and he checked that he would like to apply to the Honors College as well.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if Mechanical Engineering is full? He is in the top 5% in a large Sugar Land public high school and is National Merit Commended. </p>

<p>How about honors college? It looks like you get an email link after you are admitted. </p>

<p>Does anyone know how this works? What are his chances of Mech E this late in the game? Do you have to be a NM finalist to get into Honors program? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Also, how long does it take to hear back from a&m on an application?</p>

<p>Mechanical Engineering filled up in early November. Ask your son to go to applicant.tamu.edu and sign in to AIS. Then where it asks to change his major, click on that and check the box. It will lead you to a page for changing majors, but it also tells you what majors are already full–ME being one of them.</p>

<p>The Engineering Honors College is something that I am doing as well. With that being said, your son does not need to be a finalist or semi-finalist of any sort. He just needs to have written decent to good essays for whatever the application asked and have good grades, which surely he does seeing as he is recognized. He might have to change his major to another engineering major or undeclared engineering major; general studies is full as well and I think you can do undeclared enginnering, but don’t quote me on that.</p>

<p>I hope I answered your questions to the fullest. Feel free to ask any other questions. Were all family on CC!</p>

<p>Sent from my Desire HD using CC App</p>

<p>Thanks! Early November Mech E was already full - Wow! Well he got in under his 2nd choice of major - applied mathematics, which he actually might prefer. </p>

<p>I’m told the math students at A&M are treated well by professors, and the classes are small. This major might actually be a better fit for him. We’ll see - he’s applied to a few other schools as well and already been accepted.</p>

<p>Ksog, if you haven’t already seen it you might look at post #5 on this thread which speaks to doing a physics major if the goal is to get into engineering <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1254591-switch-major.htm[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1254591-switch-major.htm&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also if you are talking about the university honors program your son will get a link to the application soon if he has not already. I tried to see when the deadline for that application to be sent in is but I couldn’t find it on the honors website. I would call them on Monday if this is something you are interested in.</p>

<p>yes, I was trying to find the honors deadline as well. I will check into the physics major also.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Spectrum2,</p>

<p>I clicked on your physics link above, and got an error message. I’ll see if I can search it out tomorrow.</p>

<p>It is the 5th post on another thread started today titled Switch Major? I read it after I read your post and it sounded like something your son might want to consider if engineering is likely to be a direction he would like to go. I’m just a parent also of an incoming freshman so I really don’t know if there is as much overlap with math as that post indicates that there is with physics.</p>

<p>Look for the link to the honors application. You should have gotten it by email. The deadline for applying for honors is 12/15 I believe.</p>

<p>Ksog, I just pulled up the email with the link to the application and Aggiemom is correct the deadline is 12/15. It says so in that email. The email is titled Honors Program Application at Texas A&M University. The application is three very short essays so it is can be completed fairly quickly. I cannot get to the application to give you the questions because I don’t have the passwords to open it. I might be able to get my son to do this tomorrow if that will help you. My S got his application in for admission well before the 12/1 deadline. If the applications that went in closer to that deadline have not yet received the link chances are that the deadline will be extended. That’s purely a guess on my part. It seems that if you haven’t received it yet and the application went in on time they are cutting things VERY close!</p>

<p>I can’t wait to hear back from UT and A&M on my Engineering Honors applications. If I go to either of these schools, I would love to be in the honors program. Does anybody when the Engineering Honors decisions will be sent out? </p>

<p>And yes, the essays can be done rather quickly. I wrote mines pretty quickly but do not recall if I proofread hem or not. This is why I have been stressing over me being accepted to the programs or not. This sucks. </p>

<p>P.S. I sent my application to both around November 20-30th. I can’t really remember.</p>

<p>Ksog-- If you have ANY questions regarding this, feel free to send a message to me. I posted recently about the physics major option for people wanting to get into engineering. It really does seem like a great overlap other than missing the two intro engineering courses. The applied math major may also leave you this same flexibility. The math department here is really good. I have not had one bad professor in math. Applied math also leaves you with a lot of options as far as electives and tailoring your degree to best fit your specific interests (as can be seen by the many different tracks they offer such as actuarial science, biological science, computer science, economics, statistics)</p>

<p>Thanks for posting the deadline. My son has not received an email with the link to the honors application - is it because he just accepted the admissions offer today?</p>

<p>He has been doing all region band these two weekends, which is why I have been checking on stuff for him. Finals are this week, so there is little spare time to finish things up by the 15th. I sure hope he receives the link email soon.</p>

<p>They send the link before that. He might have deleted it or ignored it. You should ask him to check all emails from TAMU. It should be somewhere in there. If not, it would be wise to call.</p>

<p>He did not get anything about applying to the honors program. I have watched his email since the day he applied. He received an acknowledgement email and an email from the corp of cadets. </p>

<p>I guess we’ll contact the honors college tomorrow.</p>

<p>Yeah, that would be the best thing to do. He will have to hurry up and sent the application and essays in within like 3 days.</p>

<p>Be sure to check spam folders too. My sons honors email came shortly after he applied (about a week after submission) and prior to his acceptance to TAMU. He actually completed his honors application before he even knew he was accepted to the university. If you are still not able to find it in spam or old emails, be sure to contact them tomorrow as WHAT suggested. I doubt that the deadline will be extended, I know that was mentioned above and the timing is close in your case but we were told early on in our process that early is the key if we were going to apply for certain majors/scholarships/honors. If you miss them you miss them.</p>

<p>I think mine came like 2-3 days after they received my application. I could have done it earlier but I was not sure if I wanted to do honors. I think being in honors will be quite an experience at either A&M or UT (I know, I know, haha). Now the only thing I can wait for is that letter of acceptance. Hopefully tomorrow today brings great news :)</p>

<p>Well we never received it in spam or otherwise, but I emailed the Honors college yesterday and gave them the net id, and this morning they had already sent me the link by 8:20AM.</p>

<p>If anyone else was missed and needs to send them an email, it’s </p>

<p><a href=“mailto:honors@tamu.edu”>honors@tamu.edu</a></p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You know, you can see if you were accepted on the Howdy site before you receive the letter in the mail. Kinda nice to know a few days early!</p>